Newbie from Wisconsin

Adam

Better hovering today and i think i dialed in the head hold gyro a little better today this is my 5th maidan flight and getting a little air under the blades.

[video=youtube_share;Wfce_00lmBc]http://youtu.be/Wfce_00lmBc[/video]

Adam

so after this video i went to the back yard and hovered some more.......Well i spun the tail around and accidentally throttled up well it flew up in the air and i hit panic mode lol tried to get it it back under control got it as square to the ground as i could and throttle cut. One landing gear strut one main blade and one cyclic servo lol. I am putting it away for the weekend. I got through 8 batteries before in experience kicked me in the but lol

Adam

I think I just found out what a bent feathering shaft does to an heli. Vibrates like you wouldn't beleive, correct me if im wrong. After crash i put it all back together and didn't want to end this beautiful weekend on a bad note. Checked the feathering shaft and saw that in was bent just a little that you had to spin it in the head just to notice. it flies but the whole heli shakes. input please if i am correct.

Tony

Staff member
A bent feathering shaft will shake a helicopter apart. That is the only part that keeps the blades swinging in line with each other. If it's bent, it's a bad thing. The easiest way to check it is take your blades off, put an allen wrench in one blade grip and spin the bolt. If you see either blade grip going up and down, then it's bent. Also, you need to check your main shaft after a crash. Only real way to check it is to remove the whole head and either do a runout test on it (not everyone has the tools to do this), or remove the shaft from the heli and roll it on the glass of a picture frame. Any slight bend, and it's trashed. You can straighten it out, but that is a last case scenario. Hope this helps.

Adam

Ya and to tell ya the truth I wouldn't even know where to start to pull the main shaft out lol. Ill start by new feathering shaft first and check from there.

Top Bottom