Chargers New Parallel Charging System

Smoggie

I'm sure that there will be a way to bypass the 'nanny state' feature and just select charge current directly... But quite how you do that on your charger i dont know.

murankar

Staff member
I started looking at the manual. Without having the unit I won't be able to quickly figure it out.

From what I saw there should be a charge menu option. Again from what I saw, which isn't much, there should be adjustable parameters. I looked at the manual for just a few minutes. I need to sit down and read it.

Heliman450

Hi Uri, very kind of you but I already have the manual and I tried what it said to increase the rate but with no success. I need to spend a bit of time sitting in front of the charger and play around a bit. Right now, a friend of my wife is sitting at my desk in front of it :bellyroll:

murankar

Staff member
I finally had a chance to look at the manual. From what I gather you will need to setup a charging profile for your lips. The charge rate will be set in amps not c rating. So you will need to know how to convert c rating to amps. I believe this will be under the charge rate in the profile. It is defaulted as 1c.

Heliman450

Hi Uri, thanks for the heads-up encouraging me to bump the issue higher in my 'To-Do' list. Up to now I only made the change in the standard programme. Six of my batteries are in storage due to the weather forecast (I'm listening and improving :beguiled: ). I'll use the two currently side lined for disposal this month and do some checks today as a priority.

Smoggie

Phil,

If you have some large batteries that are past their best they can be used as a field power source for charging smaller batteries. It depends just how bad the old batteries are, if they are puffed up like balloons then you want to ditch them from a safety point of view, but if they are just getting a bit tired and can no longer deliver the amps then they can be down graded to field charging duty.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, I'm afraid that's a bit beyond me right now. This part of the hobby is the newest and most unfamiliar to me so you'll have to explain how that is best accomplished. I'm sure others might benefit, too.

Currently, I don't use any smaller batteries and my 3S batteries are in storage until I rebuild my farmer friend's Blade 450, which I told him yesterday I'll schedule to do within about the next two weeks. He doesn't have enough time for the hobby really and I can at least make a bit of space in my workshop.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, Uri,

Here are a couple of photos after checking through the basic settings. I've increased the Watts in the User Settings menu to 360 and the two channels are 144W instead of 120W as previously. As you can see in photo#2 the amps are set to 7.5 but the channel displays are still around 5A.

IMG_1790_Charging1S.JPG

IMG_1791_Charging2S.JPG

Smoggie

Phil,

That's a fantastic display that your charger has.

Seems like you might still be charging based on battery capacity. The display says 6S 5000, for it to know that you must have input the 5000mAh manually? Basically either find the mode that allows you just to set amps directly or tell a lie about the capacity and input double the true capacity.

Smoggie

As for using a LiPo as a power source.. It's simple enough, the only thing to watch for is that if using a 6S lipo as a power source then the charger must be rated for at least 26V input voltage.

If you are only flying with big batteries then it's not really a practical option but if you ever do get to flying a smaller heli it's a good solution because lipos are a lot lighter than lugging a big lead acid battery around.

Heliman450

Hi Steve, in reverse oder of your feedback............

As I suspected, I'd have to shop around for another charger to use the 6S as a source. Wattage is maxed out unless there's a way of deceiving the charger. I haven't tried to tell it lies as yet. I'll give it a try on the capacity.................. back soon.

Yes, the display was one of the attractions to me but it seems like I'd have been better asking my Forum friends before buying the Graupner.

Heliman450

Here goes............... no change the display still shows just over 5A. On the left the display is showing 12A+

IMG_1792_Charging4S.JPG

IMG_1793_Charging3S.JPG

Heliman450

Me too Uri. I've printed out the instructions to study them more closely but up to now I haven't found it. Next move is to go for Steve's 10,000mAh 'fudge' factor. I'll also increase the Watts to 100% for the channel.

murankar

Staff member
Those set current buttons; have you tried pushing those to see what happens? It looks like you have a 1a 3a 10a ... options.

Heliman450

Yes, I pushed all the buttons and decided to go with 7.5A when I was doing four together. No change to the display on the right.

Top Bottom