New noob from NE Ontario. Posting pics of a new heli stand I just made - input needed

Morelight

Fearless Freep
:kiwi-fruit:Hi. Needed a new hobby, and started getting into Eheli in Dec 2011. Been wanting to fly a heli since a kid, and finally getting around to it. What a learning curve. Bought a couple cheap co-ax without doing proper research and almost gave up. Last 3 months I've been doing a lot of studying, and flying Phoenix -- micro's to 700 and love it and the challenge. John Salt's site really helped me over the hump, and I bought 3 of his books.:p

I already have decided to move up to larger CP heli's, since the summers are not long here, and other than just after dawn and sunset, usually a fair bit of wind. Right now, all I have to fly, is a BH Tornado, 400 class, (first and last from them, laugh out loud if you like). Fortunately, it actually seems setup pretty good. I know it won't fly long, since they are basically built from crap, but I'm going to have a new Blade 500 in July, and also plan to build an Align 600 FBL, or 700, this year or next.

With the long winters, and only an apartment to live in, I also decided to build my own heli setup, work and test stand all in one. I just visualized what I thought would be useful in such a thing: vertical adjustment from 4 to 8 feet, free moving verticality for lift testing, 360 degrees of freedom in the horizontal plane for rudder testing, a stable platform for mounting the birds securely, the ability to lock at level for maintenance and tests, and the ability to run under load, testing cyclic functions.

I am fairly certain my stand is capable of safely testing up to a Trex 700 indoors, as I am probably going to buy one, and since I have not found anywhere to buy these things, I figured to build it right the first time, and re-purpose items that have already been engineered by smarter people than I.

I tested and recorded the stand last night, right after I finished it. Thanks to this stand, I was finally able to get the blade tracking perfect (and without blood loss), inside. It was 5mm or so out, but now its one beautiful line. :tiger:

One last thing for now is a question to everybody here, ( been ghosting the forum for a bit, and like the members and mods). The mounting table is aluminum (light), but when I tried to test the cyclic functions, after I unlocked the deck, which moves very easily on the ball joint, the 400 does not have enough thrust to pull the deck back up to level and allow me to check F B L R cyclic functions. Disappointing, but the rotor diameter is only 630 mm, and probably not giving enough lift.

On UTube I've seen a guy lift a full case of 12 cans of beer into the air with a Trex 600, so I can't see any reason why my stand won't work 100% with a 600 or 700.

If I've done it right, there will be several pics I took of the stand an hour ago with this post. Any positive input is always welcome. Trolls must die:ambivalence:

Stand Lowest Ht.jpg

Stand Mounting Close.jpg

Stand Tilt Capable.jpg

Stand Travels to 8 Feet.jpg

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Re: New noob from NE Ontario. Posting pics of a new heli stand I just made - input ne

Apologize for forgetting.. name is Vince.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Good looking stand..,

Are you planning for using it for testing the heli? Learning directions? Or fixing it? :)

Good to see you around! :)

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Re: New noob from NE Ontario. Posting pics of a new heli stand I just made - input ne

My favourite answer : all of the above:highly_amused: We have at least 7 months of weather not worth flying a decent heli in. Long 4-5 month winter, very windy wet spring, and cold damp windy fall most years.

Thanks for the compliment.

Tony

Staff member

:welcome1:

That is one great looking stand. However, I don't know if I would put anything over a 500 on it with the amount of 'tipping' movement it has. You will understand when you stand next to a 600/700 spooling up lmao. They will make you pee a little the first time lmao. But, if you have a way to reduce the amount of movement in the stand, I think that could work quite well. Just make sure you have enough weight in the base to counter double the amount of thrust created by the blades of your largest heli. If a 600 can lift a 12 pack of cans, I would make that thing about 30+lbs.

But overall, I love that stand. One of the cleanest I have seen.

Welcome to the site Vince! Let us know any and all questions you may come up with.

Morelight

Fearless Freep

Thanks Tony. Going to make this forum my RC home. Lot of support here and feedback unlike others I've checked out. Thanks for the compliment on the stand. The stand base is heavy duty and weighs about 30 pounds. I also have some 20lb plates I can add at the base as well.

You are right about a little too much tilt for larger birds heh. After testing last night ( I taped in HD and could up to UTube if you want to change underwear after watching lol:dejection:). However, that almost certain disaster and call to 911 on other stands I've seen on Utube was thankfully not an anecdote, and, phweew, proved the robustiness of the stand design.

I've already been letting my brain run a series of changes to the ball area, and I should have that tweaked soon.

My next bird should arrive before the end of this coming July (http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=BLH1800. Its already pre-ordered and pre-paid. I hope it works out well, but you guys don't seem to think much of their birds. :ambivalence:

Its all part of my plan to get enough lower cost experience, and then get those Oh So Sexy Align heli, and really have some fun flying.

Sorry to read that things are tough for you, you give a lot to this community, and really should be flying a lot more. Thanks much for liking the stand, and your input.

Vince

Tony

Staff member

Eh, not being able to fly just goes with running websites. Not only do I have this one, but I also have one for Automotive as well. More specifically teaching people how to work on their own cars and save some cash in this crappy economy. I just got done swapping my automatic trans in my Camaro for a 6 speed, but unfortunately wasn't able to get it on video due to a time crunch. But, running sites is taking up a lot of my time. I'm about to have a chance to take a break soon though I hope.

As for the Blade 500, I didn't even know they made anything that big. I hope it works out for you, but I would have went with the HK500CMK at least. But, what's done is done, and I really hope it works out for you. If it does, do a write up about it and let us know what you think. I love my little Blade heli's, just never liked all of the plastic on the bigger ones.

And you will love the big Align heli's, they are just rock solid out of the box.

Top Bottom