Eric Cridland

Hi all, I have been flying rc fixed wing for many years and love it, but have just recently got into helicopters along with my wife she loves flying quads and just got into heli's along with myself.

I have lived in the south east of England most of my life.

Smoggie

Welcome aboard Eric. Great that you can share your hobby with your wife, mine isnt interested in the slightest. I'm in the UK too but at the opposite end (Aberdeen).

Helis can be quite a challenge coming from quads but they are very rewarding when it finally 'clicks'. So what RC fleet do you have?

Eric Cridland

Hi Smoggie. Thanks for the welcome. I have a variety of fixed wing.. an old ripmax trainer, a biplane called an antic she flies like a dream, a 56.6" span p51 mustang, a panther foamie, a 3Der called seduction, and am just building up a jperkins blue bird glider. There is another but it's name has left my memory.

Then there is my udi 818s quad, my wife and I have a Carrera quad.. little fun thing. And then we have my twister 3D sport and my wife has a kds 450s.

That my friend is about all in the Hanger.

KLA

Welcome to RCHELP, Eric. Sounds like you have a pretty nice fleet. Just like Smoggie, my wife could care less about my helicopters. That's pretty cool that your wife shares your enthusiasm. Although my wife did buy me one of my helis, but that's the extent of her interest. Woukd love to see some pictures of your fleet if you get a chance.

Smoggie

Pics would be great!

having a partner who shares the interest in RC would be fantastic in most circumstances, though I have to admit that after 25 years of marriage it is nice sometimes to get out on my own and have a bit of 'me time' (that probably sounds terrible but long term married men will know what I mean!)

KLA

Don't sound terrible to me. Been married for 17 years and it definitely is nice to have some time to myself.

Eric Cridland

Hi again all, need a little more advice setting up the twister 3D storm. I have just set up a new dx6i transmiter as per Tony's video on YouTube. I started to set the blade pitch only to find that at full throttle the blades go to negative pitch and I can't see why. Can anyone help me PLEASE.

In reply to earlier messages, I will be glad to post some pictures of my fleet asap.

KLA

Assuming the 3D Storm is a flybarred heli, you probably have trailing edge control, which means the servo links hook to the back side or "trailing edge" of the blade grips. If this is the case, a lot of things will be reversed and the swashplate will move down for positive pitch. If you set up the dx6I for normal operation, when you go full collective the swashplate will move up thus giving you negative pitch on your blades. To solve the problem you have to reverse the pitch setting in your program menu. After that, check all of your controls cause you might also have to reverse a few other settings for everything to operate correctly, plus you might have to adjust the swash mix settings.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know too much about this particular heli but just looked at an exploded view of the head and it does have trailing edge control, so give that a shot and it should solve your problem. But, like I said, you might have to reverse some other settings and so or reverse swash mix pitch setting from positive to negative or negative to positive, whichever it may be.

If you need further help, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Admiral

Hi Eric, Welcome to the forum, I concur with everything KLA said, I had the smaller Twister Gold it flew OK but I had a lot of trouble with the plastic head which was the same components as on the Blade SR, I'm not sure but I think the Blade 400 parts are interchangeable with the Storm.

KLA

Like Admiral said, the Storm 3d is similar to the Blade SR. What I had said earlier will help fix your problem. But, I know Trainrider has a couple SR's and also had or still has a dx6I and he would be able to better help you with specific settings.

Eric Cridland

Thank you KLA. I have put positive pitch in swash mix and that has done the trick. Does it not matter which way the swash moves on full throttle, as it is now moving down on full throttle but gives the blades positive pitch. Must be the way the linkage works.

I always thought that the swash plate had to move up at full throttle..

KLA

On a heli with trailing edge control, which is what yours has, the swashplate moves down for positive pitch because the servo links hook to the back side or "trailing edge " of the blade grips instead of the front side or "leading edge" of the blade grips like on a normal setup like a Align 450.

Glad to hear that you got it straightened out. Ifor you need any other help, feel free to ask. That's why we are here.

Top Bottom