New Heli Pilot Intro.

Blade 230

Well guys and gals, just got my nine year old son a Blade 230 S v2 for Christmas. Along with it we - yes "we' - also got the latest Real Flight 8 simulator. It has not sunk in my son that flying a heli is challenging at least, and flat out difficult at worse, to master. As I will be the one paying for everything, I am fully aware of the cost of our future joy! Anyhow, what got me here was that I stumbled onto a training video by someone on your forum: it was episode 11 on how to hover your heli ( It was awesome to find out why my sim always wanted to take a hard stage left on lift-off). If anyone can point me to the complete series, I would greatly appreciate it. Well, here I am and I look forward to gleaning all the info I can - and in the not too distant future, I hope I will be able to contribute a little as well.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I am the one that created those videos and you can find the complete series HERE. Unfortunately I never completed this series and 11 was the last video that was shot. However, I do have articles on everything in the link up to #16 which is the Congratulations article. I have plans on recreating that series in more detail sometime this year. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

The 230 is definitely going to be a challenging helicopter to start out with, but if it has SAFE enabled on it, that should make it much easier to learn with. Patience is key in the beginning! You did the best first move you could have done by getting the RealFlight 8 simulator! This investment (and it is an investment) will save you thousands in the long run. I know we are always trying to keep out kids off the computer and to get outside more, but encouraging him (and yourself) to get on the sim for an hour a day to practice different maneuvers will help way more than you know. In a months time, you will be able to do everything in the Flight School that I have written.

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to post up and ask. We are always happy to help out!

:welcome1:

Blade 230

olHey Tony,

Thanks for the answer. I have told my son he must master everything on the simulator before he can fly the heli. I may have to coax him a little with me learning how to hover it, first, and then showing off to him a little. I look forward to the challenge. And as silly as it may sound, I would like to chase a bird around a little one day!
Hi Blade 230, and welcome to RC-Help. :)
Hi Blade 230, and welcome to RC-Help. :)
Geena, thanks for the welcome.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like a plan to me. As for chasing a bird, it's fun and I have yet to catch one. There are times though during the larger birds mating season where they will chase you lmao.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Welcome Blade 230. I haven't chase any birds with my helis but with my quad flying FPV, I tried following a turkey buzzer for a few second,around 10secs and I ended up losing orientation and couldn't fine my house for awhile :(.

Top Bottom