Chargers Need new Charger

Tony

Staff member
That's right. Just add up the total MAH and divide by 1000. That will give you your 1c charge rate. Then multiply by the charging c rate of the packs. Remember to only calculate your lowest c charge rate for all of the packs that you have in parallel.

Slobberdog

nice way to connect the batteries that Tony,

try to get in a habit of not charging your batteries above 2c, as their life will be reduced if you do, or so its said anyway,

I also think the higher charge rates things get hot and I don't like hot with lipo's, but that's just my 2c

I charge 4 6s 2700 cells at 15a in about 35mins, that's less than 1.5c charge rate, why do you need to go faster and stress the batteries and charger rig.

Ok
I hear this or that on the following question but
would like some input from you guys.
What is the lowest recommended discharge level
for a LIPO battery? Per cell that is.

Tony

Staff member
You are safe but pushing the limits at 3.2 to 3.4 vpc. My suggestion, don't go under about 3.6 and your batteries will last longer. I have my timers set so when I'm done flying, I'm at 3.7 to 3.8 vpc.

Tony

Staff member
Just remember, with the alarm, that is under a load. So when you stop, you will actually be a touch higher that.

Yea. Usually when it goes off I may fly about a minute or so then I bring her down.
In most cases after the fact I am sitting around 3.6 or 3.7.
I may change it to alarm at 3.4 and then just start landing procedures at that point.
That should give me a final no load result of around 3.5 to 3.6.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony
On your 306B have you done any "special" settings to it that help performance or prevent damage?

Tony

Staff member
The only thing I have done to the charger is I rover the 5000mah limit. If you watch the charging video I did with 9 packs in parallel, I hit the limiter and it stopped charging. Everything else is stock.

Also I was just reading reviews and such and a term popped out....
"Cycling new lipos was super easy"
Cycling? What is this and should I be doing it?
Is this just another way of saying "Charging new Lipo's was super easy?"

Ok let me just ask this.
What should I do to properly maintain my Lipo's
That is to say what functions should I perform to gain
the longest possible life from them?

Last edited:
Well got the 306B in today at work.
I thought it was larger than it looked online :)
I will use the 12 volt PSU to play around with it
until I get the 24 volt

Tony

Staff member
Also I was just reading reviews and such and a term popped out....
"Cycling new lipos was super easy"
Cycling? What is this and should I be doing it?
Is this just another way of saying "Charging new Lipo's was super easy?"

Ok let me just ask this.
What should I do to properly maintain my Lipo's
That is to say what functions should I perform to gain
the longest possible life from them?

Back in the day of NiCd and NiMh, you had to cycle them to get the most power out of them. LiPo's are not this way. You just plug in and go, and the flights will give it any break in that it may need. So don't even worry about this. Now, if you have one that is not quite taking a charge, running it through some cycles may bring it back up. This has also helped bring back some lipo's that I inadvertently dead shorted as well. They had less run life than new, but they will worked.

To properly maintain your batteries, don't discharge them below 3.4 volts per cell, always storage charge them to 3.7 volts per cell if they are going to sit more than a few days and only charge them when you are going to run them within a day. Other than that, don't store them in a hot car or anywhere that gets over 100ºF.

Well got the 306B in today at work.
I thought it was larger than it looked online :)
I will use the 12 volt PSU to play around with it
until I get the 24 volt

You an still use it on 12vDC. You just can't charge at 30 amps. Break that sucker in and charge some batteries. Make sure to use the balance charge feature to prolong battery life.

Balance Charge Feature...is that something above and beyond the normal Balance Charge we typically do?
I always balance charge unless there is no balance lead.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, it's pretty much the same thing. If your 306 is like mine, the numbers will not match up on the voltage. But I never had an issue.

Numbers do not match? End voltage numbers?
well I cranked it up and the 1st thing I like is that
it auto detects the battery (cells).
Im charging a battery now and afterwards I am going to attached a 2
cell and then a 1 cell just to see the auto detect work LOL.
Very similar interface to the turnigy 50 watt I have which
I like as well, didnt have to relearn something else.

Disregard the 1S auto detect my head was not where it should have been lol

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the auto detect is nice, but there are modes that don't detect what cells you have. Can't remember what ones they are though. And yup, your balance voltage for all cells may say 12.58, but all cells will show 4.2 volts. Not a big deal, but I think they can do better. as far as I know, they have not come up with an update since I got mine, so you should be on the same firmware.

Top Bottom