FBL Gyro need help Deciding

murankar

Staff member
If your going to spend that much get the align carbon fiber blades or get a set of revolutions. If you just want some cheap blades to get you through learning check and see if hobbypartz.com still have the exi carbon blades those are like $9 a set.

Bruno

$45 for blades is quite expensive. I have used the blades mentioned earlier (I am a beginner) and as long as I balance them and track them properly they work great for my basic flying. You may want to use training gear until you master taking off without tipping the heli. Make sure your tail blades are centered before take off and that you have the right main blade grip tightness. Make sure the heli is not Jared Durning initialization of the gyro since that may effect your spool up effects.

Last edited:

concept30

Thanks Bruno very helpful, $4 for CF blades. Thanks Guys this really helps me, i've just been having problems with my helicopter tail, I bought a KDS flymenter to see if a computer can help, the training gear helps some but i still chip my tip of my wood blades

murankar

Staff member
Personally I have never flown wood. At minimum I will fly glass fiber. They can be even cheaper than carbon fiber and stronger than wood.

Keep in mind that each material will have its own flight behavior. Just take your time learning the new feel with the new blades.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
wood blades are notorious for getting imbalanced.. as they are wood covered with a covering material.. any hole or leak in that will cause wood to start soaking in moisture and that causes the blades to go imbalanced..

the wooden blades need extra care like making sure that the blade roots are HARD epoxied not just glued with a cheapo glue.. if not, the blades will. WILL fly apart and break at blade root

The wooden blades bend a lot.. you will loose power / pop .. which is needed when in trouble and in your head you are screaming PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP.. :D

and they have head speed limitations :)

so all that said.. go fibreglas.. I have flown and crashed MANY MANY MANY cheap fibreglass blades or cheap carbon fibre blades from hobbypartz. THey come well balanced, are 6 bucks a pair.. to may be 9 bucks a pair.. I used to buy 4-5 pairs and then just fly fear less :D so I dont recommend wood or even flexible plastic. Yes it wil make the heli slower response.. but you can add expo for that

pvolcko

I was using woodies on the 300X for a while. Finally found a source of stock CF's at way below normal so switched to them and have been loving them. Much more responsive (almost too responsive at times). They hold up in crashes, too. At least compared to the wood blades.

concept30

Thanks guys, the Blade 450 3d comes with wooden blades, CF are cheaper then wooden blades which is really good since CF lastes alot longer then wooden, thanks to you guys I'll be buying some great under cost CF blades.

Tony

Staff member
You will get replies on this anywhere from Zeal tape to cheap 3M double sided tape which I use with luck. The 3M that I use can be purchased from Lowes or Home Depot for about $5 for a roll. Use two layers if you are worried about vibrations.

pvolcko

I've used thick foam pad (comes with 7200bx) and thinner 3M "gel" tap (comes with ikon). Both work fine, at least for me. In general the thicker it is the better at lessening high frequency vibration transfer it will be. But it will also tend to soften the response to abrupt cyclic and tail changes.

Some have strong opinions on this topic, usually borne of having suffered some kind of vibration related problem which made the FBL system go nutty at the wrong time. I have yet to encounter such an issue, so my opinion is it doesn't really matter which you use. :) More important is to make sure the FBL is perfectly squared up to the flight axes. If it is slightly canted one way or the other it can result in rolls injecting some elevator, or flips injecting aileron, or piros injecting one or the other (or both), etc. Unless it is skewed a lot the effect should be small and barely noticable, at least until you spend some time flying it and can notice the difference between what you're putting in and what it is doing on its own.

The only thing that makes me chose one tape over the other is what it is being mounted too. On the 300x, for example the stock mounting location for the 7200bx is inside the frame and the surface it mounts to has cutaways and whatnot. In that case the thick foam makes a lot of sense because it will allow you to snug down the 7200bx to the uneven surface. On the 550X, on the other hand, it is mounted to a plate and could as easily be mounted with thin foam or gel tape as with the thicker stuff. In those good mounting locations I like to use the thinner stuff so the unit is more tightly coupled to the frame/heli and I'm not having to make up for a bad mounting surface.

concept30

Thanks pvolcko, thats very helpful, I found some tape called Moongel that i might order, im using KDS flymentor (which by the way isnt no topic about it) anyways i have 3M double sided tape but the KDS flymentor gyro needs to have no vibrations.

Top Bottom