My T-Rex 600 that later crashed (electrical short)

Derek

I'm sorry to hear about the crash, Larry! That's a bummer, for sure! This flight looked to go pretty well and landed soft and safe.

If it would be at all possible, would you mind taking a bit of video of that waterfall? It really looked kinda pretty.

Take care buddy and have fun!

Nice video Larry, what did you use to mount your gopro to heli with, it's pretty stable compared to mine..

I used the flat adhesive mount that comes with the GoPro...stuck it sideways on the side of the frame- just behind the canopy. I also wound a thick rubber band, slightly snug, around the joint of the mount and camera base to lessen vibration. (I learned the rubber trick from my time machining metal- It really helps absorb vibration.)

Here I strapped my GoPro without the protective case on the boom fin- a thin piece of foam under the camera. One thin velcro strap around the outside of the camera, set the camera right in front of the two bolt heads that bolt the fin to the boom. Run the strap through the cutouts of the fin. Also use another strap or two to hold it frontwards. I got this idea from another pilot that did this successfully several times. He filmed flying over the beach and ocean- it was spectacular!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxE5eo9y8HA

- - - Updated - - -

It was too high. I bought a used 700 to replace it- for what it would have cost to repair the 600. Now I can use the servos, etc. from the 600 if I need to.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your sympathy. It hurts. We all know the feeling! ......and I know! the sound is so awe-inspiring....just like the real thing!

Ken Jackson

Ugly crash. But your flying with the go pro has made you very smooth. I decided a while back if I want to video get a quad, but your are smooth as silk dude.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I flew a Bell helicopter last summer just to do it. The video looking back at the tail rotor has the same blade sound as the real helicopter I flew.

Amazing.
You wear ear protection when you fly a heli so the sound is slightly muffled just like the gopro is.

- - - Updated - - -

I could almost feel the air pulsing on me just from memory. It was really cool to fly a real bird after learning RC I highly recommend it. Cost me $150 US

Well, thanks, Ken! Yes, I have almost wanted a quad to film with, but there is just something about filming from a heli instead. The sound...the shadows. Not the high pitched whine of plastic blades. Sure would be a blessing to have automatic emergency landing, though!
Thanks for the compliments!

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I could fly a real one, as you did....that sounds so thrilling. When I was a teen (long ago, lol...I'm 56) I wanted a Scorpion Too helicopter. There are some flying today! It's just an out of reach dream for me.

Ken Jackson

Don't know your location, I live very near Chicago. There are several airports around here that you can fly a plane or Heli for under $150.00 for a single flight. I flew for about 45 minutes. Check with a smaller airport but I'm sure there is some place near you that does it. Its a lot of money for one flight but look what we've already spent just on buying helicopters, let alone crashing and rebuilding.

Your funny, long ago... I'm two years younger then you so I get your meaning. I made several videos with a camera attached but they were jerky and hard to watch. Of course I can't fly without doing flips, rolls and loops. Maybe that's what I was doing wrong, lol.

Well, thanks, Ken! Yes, I have almost wanted a quad to film with, but there is just something about filming from a heli instead. The sound...the shadows. Not the high pitched whine of plastic blades. Sure would be a blessing to have automatic emergency landing, though!
Thanks for the compliments!��

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I could fly a real one, as you did....that sounds so thrilling. When I was a teen (long ago, lol...I'm 56) I wanted a Scorpion Too helicopter. There are some flying today! It's just an out of reach dream for me.

Top Bottom