General My Ground Pounders (TC3)

Tony

Staff member
Back in the day, I started with the Rc10T, yes, the aluminum tub version. But, as time went on, I was tired of not being able to race in the winter. So, I got into onroad racing. I purchased the Factory Team TC3, and everything to go with it. I will tell you, it was a blast when it was setup correctly. This thing would pull some latteral G's in the turns. And when you made a perfect lap, it was even better.

I remember getting an old Bolink car, straight axle on foam wheels racing on concrete. This was a 4 cell class (nicad's) but they still had more power than you could put down. There is one race that I remember, I kept my car on the bumper of this other guy for 15 laps. Never got more than an inch away from him. He was driving the perfect line. then, without bumping him, he went high by 4". That was all I needed to make the pass on the inside. Remember, these cars were loose by nature, and a crash could have resulted. But man it was a sweet pass. The car stuck to the ground, and went right inside him in turns 1 and 2. Him an I had some great laughs out of that one, even though I did win the race. He said that was the best race he has had yet. Very clean.

Well, with onroad being fun, I was still a dirt guy. One year, we started oval racing, and we set our trucks up to run on the oval. One guy had the suggestions to put rally tires and A arms on the TC3, adn put a Modified body on them, with the huge air dam on the left side. OH YEAH! IT'S ON! I swapped out everything, covered what I needed to cover, painted my body, and it was track time. Back then it was a spec class and we all run 19 turn motors. It was a drivers race. Everyone had the same power. Adn I have to say, you put a 4 wheel drive car on dirt, and you are going to have fun. And I did. Until it was just me, adn two other guys racing every race in the front.

So Team Trinity had come out with a Nitro conversion for the TC3. YOu used your axles, a arms, and diff's, but you put it on their chassis (aluminum) and you run an Rc10GT spur gear. I purchased every one of the kits that Team Trinity had, I think I got 11 of them for about $200. Well, shortly after putting an engine on one of the chassis, I got out of the hobby all together. I still have that chassis with teh engine, but I sold all of the other ones. they are outdated now, and I doubt they would compete with anything. But I had a blast when I was doing it.

I have been thinking about getting back into this "Ground Pounding" again, I'm just not sure. I have took flight, and it's costing enough money lol. I'm afraid if I get back into cars and trucks, I may neglect the aircraft since I can crash a car lmao. Only time will tell though.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Just get something you can have fun with. On crappy days that you can't fly, you can go have fun in the dirt without taking a $40,000.00 truck out to crash! Lol

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Is it common for people who race rc cars to build a racetrack in their yard?

Tony

Staff member
I did it. I took my tractor, I plowed up my field, and I laid a track out in it lol. Took about a week to get done, and I only used it twice. Then, I took the tractor, plowed up the track, and planted grass seed. You would never know it was there. I could do the same here, but I have no tractor anymore.

Lee

The only cars i owed were a Kyosho something or other. It was 4 wheel drive and steering. Loved that car. And i had the Tamiya Grasshopper and The Frog. I think they are all still in my dads attic.

Tony

Staff member
Just get something you can have fun with. On crappy days that you can't fly, you can go have fun in the dirt without taking a $40,000.00 truck out to crash! Lol

A $40K truck? I don't race real stadium trucks lol. And those are well over 100K anyway hahaha. There is more than $40K in just the engine.

OK,A quick question... Can you use a DX6I with an Orange RX in a truck?
Im thinking its all the same as the Heli only different.

I picked up a used 2x4 to mess about with and there was nothing but a Battery steering servo motor and ESC..... I have spare Recievers and a DX6I so will it work?
Hope it will.....
Dave

Top Bottom