My first try at flying the RC Help.com v.3 trainer

Gerald

My first try at flying the RC Help.com v.3 trainer. Did not go well, rookie at controls, I think it will fly; I just have to get better at controls. Thanks to my son Andrew for filming. The planes motor was damaged bent shaft along with broken prop adaptor. This was filmed in late fall and I was sort of embarrassed to show the results but I want to be honest. With an experienced pilot I think this bird will soar! Thanks Tony for the design and instructional videos on building the plane!
RCHelp trainer maiden flight attempt - YouTube

I have the parts to fix it now and will be trying again!
I have some changes to make in the battery area and need to improve the landing gear area kind of wrinkled the fuse there.

Tony

Staff member
Hey, the good thing here is the plane survived. Those aluminum motor shafts, or prop adapters are made of a VERY weak aluminum and don't take forces that well.

One thing to drill into your head, is this is a foam plane. If you crash and total it, it's more than likely only going to cost you about $3 to repair. If you keep drilling that into your head, your shaky hands will go away. It's all about having fun. Keep the flights up and they will get better and better.

pvolcko

I think that right yaw on the ground is normal (happens on real aircraft too). As it looks like you did in the second attempt, you have to hold in a bit of counteracting rudder, at least until airborne.

Not bad for a first attempt. Sucks you banged up the motor and prop a bit.

Lee

Good effort Gerald,
Not sure but, it looked like it stalled before impact. I guess you were trying to get above those trees.
Keep at it mate, and as Tony said, these are made to be abused as its cheap to repair. :D

Derek

That was a spectacular attempt, Gerald! It did get off the ground and it looked like it was doing well for a bit. It looks like the damage is minimal and the airframe is ok. All you can do is "shake it off", repair it, and try again. I'd like to suggest hand launching the plane for the maiden flight. Even though you do have landing gear on the plane, hand launch the plane next time so that you can get it into the air and trim it out. Then land it..collect yourself, then take off from the ground. This is what I do, even if I have a plane that had landing gear. You surely don't HAVE to do it that way, but I believe that it helps me when I am doing a maiden.

Take care buddy and good luck on Round 2! Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom