General My first soldering attempt

Heliman450

Some HV ESC's have anti spark circuits built in which negates any requirement for anti-spark connectors. The ESC's I know of with AS are the YGE HV series (and the YEP/RotorStar clones) plus the Hobbywing HV V4 range.

I'm not aware of any low voltage (6S) ESC's with AS.

It looks like I'll be buying the H/w HV V4 along with my next (bigger) heli in that case. My existing T-Rex 550 will get a change of connection sometime in the not too distant future.

There was an excellent video of how to do the soldering of the Supra X connectors on the website from the link in thread #17.

Bye now!

sneezy007

Thanks for the offer Smoggie, but yes we live on different continents.

Cheers,
Dino

Dino,

Those need a bit more work. Big bullets can be hard to solder, the thick wire sucks the heat away so you need a powerful iron preferably with a 'chisel' shape tip rather than the pencil point ones that are used for fine soldering. It looks very much like you need to get more heat into the joint until the solder flows.

Here's one I soldered five minutes ago, yours should look similar, solder filling up the cup, forming a smooth fillet and being fully absorbed into the strands of the wire rather than sitting on the wire in 'blobs'.
View attachment 16325

If the solder runs a bit it's no big deal, you can remove it with a file later. If we weren't thousands of miles apart i'd say pop round and I'd give you some pointers.

trainrider06

I've never had any problems with my batteries on multiple helis, but I have had a full size car battery blow up on me. Took the battery out of the car and put it on the ground, hooked up a load tester and hit the load button, as soon as I hit the load button the battery exploded!! The bad thing is that on the load tester the cables are only about 18 inches long so you can test the battery while it is in the car. Luckily I had fast reflexes and was able to get my face turned fast enough that I didn't get any battery acid in my eyes. I ended up getting battery acid on one side of my face, my neck, my arms and all over my clothes. Any parts of my skin that got acid on it ended up with some pretty nasty burns and after I had washed my clothes they all looked like Swiss cheese from getting battery acid all over them. Overall, I guess I got pretty lucky cause I didn't get any acid in my eyes but it definitely scared the hell out of me. Until that day, I have never seen a car battery blow up like that.

dang Keith you might aught just stay home and not do anything with all you've been through man LOL

trainrider06

It looks like I'll be buying the H/w HV V4 along with my next (bigger) heli in that case. My existing T-Rex 550 will get a change of connection sometime in the not too distant future.

There was an excellent video of how to do the soldering of the Supra X connectors on the website from the link in thread #17.

Bye now!

I like the looks of those Supra connectors! Dang Steve is alway posting up these cool things that I NEED!!!! :wink:

Top Bottom