Projects My first scratch build

wizzard363

Decided to have a go at a scratch build and went with balsa instead of foam
No plans , no drawings , just a pile of balsa and a scalpel.
The only guide I used was a leftover rib from a J3 lazer cut kit I got from hobbyking . I used the rib a guide for wing profile and bigger all around as I was going for a larger model .
My idea was to create something "cartoony"
The ribs were the first thing I started with then I glued a couple of balsa sheets together and cut out a fuselage .
I knew from the start that the short nose would make COG hard to achieve but the idea I had in my head came first and the practical side would just have to work itself out
In the end it needed 200grams of lead in the front but I am happy with the way it worked out(I make fishing sinkers so there is no shortage of lead here)
I have bigger alloy wheels and alloy landing gear on order so will swap lead for bling soon
Wing span is 1550mm , motor is 900kv 3548 NTM motor , 12x6 prop and 4000mah 4S lipo
Still a work in progress and I will post updatesMaking it up plane 001.jpgMaking it up plane 005.jpgMaking it up plane 002.jpgScratch Build and L4A 001 - Copy - Copy.jpgScratch Build and L4A 002 - Copy.jpgScratch Build and L4A 005.jpgMake it up finished pics 002.jpgMake it up finished pics 004.jpgMake it up finished pics 005.jpg ships wheel 004.jpgships wheel 005.jpg

Maiden day was very windy but some things just can't wait
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpjTLNFFsg

Making it up plane 001.jpg

Making it up plane 005.jpg

Making it up plane 002.jpg

Scratch Build and L4A 001 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Scratch Build and L4A 002 - Copy.jpg

Scratch Build and L4A 005.jpg

Make it up finished pics 002.jpg

Make it up finished pics 004.jpg

Make it up finished pics 005.jpg

ships wheel 004.jpg

ships wheel 005.jpg

Tony

Staff member
I have seen that airport before, I just can't remember what member on here flew at it.

Love it when people do builds like this. And it makes it even better when they fly it and land it to fly again. Contrats on the successful build, it looks great.

wolfman76

what a great looking plane good build my friend love the design keep up the great building....

Derek

HA HA HA!!! That was awesome! Not only does it look good, but it flies! Not only does it fly, but it flies well! Not only does it fly well, but it lands well, too!!!

Just awesome buddy! Congratulations on the build, the take off, the flight, and the landing. Two Thumbs Up!!!

wizzard363

Thanks guys .
It does not fly well , it flies great!!!! Had a race with my mates eflite stick running on 4S and he could not pass me , was very even for speed. Good roll rate , had to reduce aileron travel to 70% and add 40% expo on the DX8 to tame it down :joyous: ,handles well at low speed . The flaps work well and it has a very mild stall. Not sure how I got it so good first time but I will take it :encouragement:
Yesterday I added a couple more flames to the wing tips . still have a few more mods to make and I will post the final pics soon .
Tony , I posted a vid of my trainer here that I built from your plans (with a few mods) a while back , that's where you may have seen my local flying field before . I have a few vids on youtube , most are filmed there

Top Bottom