Setups My first FPV set up

Derek

Hi there Lee! You said that you chose to use the 5.8ghz setup. I'm gonna let my inexperience talk here, so please understand, lol. Why did you choose the 5.8? I see some people using the 2.4ghz and even 900mhz. Something that I've wondered is, wouldn't there be some interference using the 2.4ghz FPV setup while using a 2.4ghz Tx and Rx on a plane, heli, or quad? I'm really interested in doing FPV, probably not this year but eventually, and I'm just trying to do my research.

Lee

Hi. You cannot use 2.4 with a 2.4 radio. the different systems have there pros and cons. 5.8 is the most popular first step into FPV

Derek

Yeah, I thought that the 2.4 from the rc tx would interfere with the fpv 2.4 setup and/or vice verse. I've seen some setups have 100mW or 200mW and even 1500mW. What does this part mean?

Tony

Staff member
As stated, you can not use the 2.4GHz Tx and FPV gear, they will walk all over each other. The 5.8 gives more reliable reception but has a limited range. And it can not see through trees. 900MHz however can put a signal through trees to an extent so if you go over a ridge of trees or something, you can still have a little bit of signal rather than completely losing it like you would with the 5.8GHz systems. I would highly suggest a patch antenna if you are going to be using 5.8, however you need to be facing where the aircraft is located in the sky.

Lee

Don't use a Video frequency lower than you radio frequency. The golden rule is to have a more powerful radio than video. For the obvious reason that your picture will drop before your radio signal.
There is no point going all out and buying everything straight away. You need to build up your knowledge base first. Get the simple 5.8Ghz RX/TX with a camera. Get this working well for you, then add things like OSD, signal diversity.
The only thing i upgraded straight away was the antennas. I got the Cloverleaf/skewer antennas to give a more solid signal in all orientations.

This is a list of do's and dont's from the guys at Team Black Sheep. Very good FPV pilots if you check there youtube videos.

Before we get to the list, let me just point out that while these points reduce the possibility of technical failures resulting in the loss of your aircraft, they do not account for stupidity on behalf of the pilot. If you want to fly into a tree and you consequently lose your plane, well, you shouldn't have flown into the tree.
Start with the bare essentials and add equipment one step at a time. after each new equipment was added do proper range- and stress tests.

-Do not fly with a video system that is capable of outperforming your R/C system in terms of range
-Do not fly with a R/C frequency higher than the video frequency (e.g. 2.4GHz R/C, 900MHz video).
-Monitor the vitals of your plane (R/C and battery). Flying with a digital link without RSSI is dangerous.
-Do not use 2.4GHz R/C unless you fly well within its range limits, in noise-free environments and always within LOS. since this is most likely never the case, it is recommended to not use 2.4GHz R/C systems.
-Do not fly at the limits of video. if you see noise in your picture, turn around and buy a higher-gain antenna before going out further.
-Shielded wires or twisted cables only. anything else picks up RF and can cause problems
-When using powerful R/C transmitters, make sure your ground station equipment is properly shielded
-Adding RTH to an unreliable system does not increase the chances of getting your plane back. Work on making your system reliable without RTH first, then add RTH as an additional safety measure if you must. At this point you will most likely realize RTH is not required.
-Avoid powering the VTx directly. step-up or step-down the voltage and provide a constant level of power to your VTx, otherwise make sure your VTx runs reliably until the battery dies. Try to avoid 12V VTx on 3S systems.
-Do not power your camera directly unless it works along the complete voltage range of your battery. step-up or step-down the voltage and provide a constant level of power to your camera. make sure your camera runs until your battery dies.
-A single battery system is safer. 2 batteries in parallel to mitigate further sources of failure. reverse current protection is recommended, but usually not feasible
For maximum video range, use 2.4GHz video with high-gain antennas
-When flying with R/C buddies that fly on 2.4GHz, or when flying in cities, it is perfectly possible to use 2.4GHz video provided you stick to the channels that do not lie in their band (ch5 & 8 for lawmate)
-Do not use diversity as a replacement for pointing your antennas. diversity should be used to mitigate polarization issues
-Improving the antenna gain on the receiver end is better than increasing the output power (except in RF-noisy areas). 500mW is plenty of power, more tx power causes more issues with RF on your plane.
-Do not buy the cheapest equipment unless it is proven to work reliably (e.g. capacitors falling off, multitudes of bugfix firmware updates, community hacks and mods are a good indicator of poor quality and something you do NOT want to buy). Saving $50 is simply not worth losing your plane.

Derek

Thanks Lee! Thanks Tony!

It has become crytstal clear that I have a lot to learn about FPV setups as well as "do's and don'ts". I dont plan on buying anything for FPV until next Spring anyway, so i've got plenty of time to learn.

Tasajara

Great post There Lee....
Good info for the New FPV'ers to be.

There is one antenna I love along with the Clover Leaf, It is the Helical for the Receiver, it will give you med to long range. Keep in mind that it is directional. It is a great second antenna to use when doing a diversity system or antenna tracker.
You can also buy 2 and place them at a 30deg angle apart and have a good long range setup with diversity for 5.8GHz
I have got range of a mile without any video drop out at all. It will go farther but I would be pushing my Futaba TX farther than it would reach.
Also doing 5.8GHz the antennas are much smaller and easier to transport.
Here are what they look like...

2-Helical copy.jpghelical.JPG

2-Helical copy.jpg

helical.JPG

Top Bottom