My First Flips _ 3GX powered Hobbyking HK450 Flybarless Torque Tube

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I should add " without an immediate crash" to title. It was nerve-cracking and a lot harder to do in real life than in the simulator. Maybe I need a better sim. LOL

Anyway, I noticed that tail would give a little and start wagging during inverted to right-side-up flips. It behaved well the other way. Has anyone noticed this? How did you fix it?

(HD available)

My first flips on Hobbyking HK450 Flybarless Torque Tube - YouTube

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Great Flight! .... what did you mean by...
"..... and a lot harder to do in real life than in the simulator. Maybe I need a better sim. LOL"

As far as tail wag inverted.... is it as you flip over? or once you stabilise inverted?

you could try.... lowering the gain 5 clicks and see if it gets worse... if so increase it a little more...

what tail servo are you using?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thanks, Westy. When I practice in the simulator, I focus almost entirely on the rotor disc, the visibility of which is set to maximum. Of course, I can't always see the disc at the field even though I have tried to make it more visible by using bright green decal on the main blades. Secondly, when inverted, I found it very hard to do lazy circles to practice orientation; specifically, banking seemed to take a lot more cyclic inputs. Is it because of the CG difference?

The tail gave and started wagging during the flips. Do you mean the tail gain should be lowered. The tail gain is set to the limit. I will try to lower it a little on the next flight.

I use a Tarot T9257 Digital Tail Servo for the tail. This could be another reason.

Westy

LEGEND
yeah ... since I am certainly no expert on inverted ..... I notice i seem to have to "ACTUALLY FLY" the heli more inverted.... whether that is because it is not second nature to me like skids down (rightside up). did you say you have your gain set at 100%?

yeah try lowering it.....

What sim are you using? .... I set my Phoenix up so that it has maximum side thrust (200%) to simulate the take off tendancy to drift left...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I'm sorry... Those were your "First Flips"? HOLY CRAP!!! :shocked:

Great job bro. Looks like your sim time is paying off big time. Keep up the great work and the great videos!

pvolcko

No kidding. If those are first flips you're doing way good. You showed more control and smoothness than most vids I see of intentional rainbows (which is what many of those looked like to me).

Lee

Don't put your skill level down by calling those flips, they are full on Rainbows. Very nice mate :thumbsup:

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
yeah ... since I am certainly no expert on inverted ..... I notice i seem to have to "ACTUALLY FLY" the heli more inverted.... whether that is because it is not second nature to me like skids down (rightside up). did you say you have your gain set at 100%?

yeah try lowering it.....

What sim are you using? .... I set my Phoenix up so that it has maximum side thrust (200%) to simulate the take off tendancy to drift left...

I meant the tail gain is set to where the tail begins to wag if the value is raised any higher. I usually practice in Phoenix with zero wind. Will add more air disturbance as I progress. I did not know I could set the side thrust.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have a lot of ground to cover to catch up with Lee. LOL

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

OK get this guy a corporate sponsor. If your just doing this and with a 450. Your well on your way.

Nice flying dude!

Ken

canongraphy

Yea I agree! that's very smooth and hardly just flips! lol you are doing great, I am still trying to tackle a good hover :)
nice job! keep the vids coming we love them.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thanks, Marius. Oh, no. I am anything but natural at this. It will take lot of hard work to keep up with you and Gaba. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom