MY First Ever Maiden Flight And Crash Of My 450 Plus

canongraphy

Ok guys here is my video of my 1minute 11 second flight of my first ever heli flight LOL a buddy at work took this video on his phone a few months ago and posted it on his youtube page sine he couldn't get it sent to me.
I had hoped he destroyed it but since he still has it I thought I would share LMAO yea its funny now but at the time I about threwup!
You will see me at the controls across the warehouse and I comment on the landing gear...then I ....well just watch!
Oh and for any new people reading this... heres your sign! :welcome1:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRmOgomguNA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FRmOgomguNA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

- - - Updated - - -

This is repaired and sold to another friend at work now and have the 600 now...waiting to be unleashed

- - - Updated - - -

Just want to add, I wasn't trying to fly here, in fact I was making sure it didn't lift off in the building, as it was too tight quarters for me to fly in there. was just testing out the training gear by sliding it around the warehouse floor....yea I know dumb decision at the time LOL
But hey you guys like video's so I posted it.
enjoy!

canongraphy

Pallets do the job! Lol

YEP! LOL
damage was

main shaft bent
main gear chunk stripped out
blades busted
skid broken
all since replaced and the 450 is with a new happy owner.
I was going to change it to DFC but decided its about the same price to just sell it and buy one already flybarless but decided on the 600 for now instead.
I may later change it or just get a 700E and build that. The bigger ones are much easier to work on.
For now I will enjoy the 600 as it is.

Ken Jackson

Classic! Everyone has one or two of those kinds of stories, whether we admit it or not.

My last crash was because I didn't lock tite one screw, when I put the tail together (new torque tube). It was the screw holding the ball to the rudder control arm, yep 4 feet above tall snow covered grass. Tipped it right over as it spun I believe nose right. Estimated cost $125 for one missed screw. LOL:excitement:

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah, we have all done something like that at one time or another lmao. and it's amazing at just how loud something like that is when it happens.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Nice! what batteries do you use? I will have to get some more here soon.

I'm currently using turnigy 6s 5000 35-90 batteries. But there really a little to large for the battery tray. I had to mod it a little. I'm going to buy some 6s nano teck's soon has I have some extra cash. The main project now is my 700n.

Lee

Just for those other beginners watching your video. One of the most important things to learn first before all others, is keeping the tail towards you. If it drifts off, STOP replace it in front of you and start again. Don't try to fly it back to the correct position, do it by hand.
@Kenjack I had exactly the same thing happen. Forgot to thread lock the tail screws on my 600, but i was flying full speed at 20ft when the tail let go. Heres the video.
Chaos thread lock missing - YouTube

canongraphy

Just for those other beginners watching your video. One of the most important things to learn first before all others, is keeping the tail towards you. If it drifts off, STOP replace it in front of you and start again. Don't try to fly it back to the correct position, do it by hand.
@Kenjack I had exactly the same thing happen. Forgot to thread lock the tail screws on my 600, but i was flying full speed at 20ft when the tail let go. Heres the video.
Chaos thread lock missing - YouTube

Lee! dude you did a heck of a job saving that and a wad of cash, most people would of flipped out and drove it in the ground, nicely done!
And thank you, yes that's a very good point about keeping the tail towards you, as you seen in my video that was my very big mistake which ended in the smackdown with the skid pile, and I lost.

Ken Jackson

Can't believe nothing broke. Nice set down. I remember when I started and got someone to watch, it was so boring for them because I kept my tail towards me. It doesn't really look like flying but it is, just not glamorous. That comes in time. Once you get more comfortable start with figure eights and I also never turn inward toward myself. I turn out away from myself. I turn from right to left on my right side turns and left to right on my left side turns. I know that's confusing but my rule is to never fly toward myself, always maintain a 90 degree angle. If you get in trouble a quarter turn and your tail is pointing at you again.

I'm sure most of us learned that the hard way.

Ok so now we have got some videos going, come on guys lets get some more posted. Good ones, bad ones and anything in between. The video forum should be packed full of actual member flights. I only have one crash recorded but the camera was mounted on the helicopter so you can only see blurry trees and cement. The sound I think we have all heard before.

I also find I lose my tail orientation more often when flying a 450 or smaller. I prefer 500 size and up for that reason. And as Tony pointed out I have a lot of wiring on my bird but the lights help with orientation as well as orange blades and skids. Canopy color is important also. Don't use. Blue canopy on a bright clear day. Lol

Ken:surprise:

- - - Updated - - -

Was responding to Lee if that seemed out of context.

Westy

LEGEND
good on you guys for sharing !!!! here is my first (well second) crash......

The Blade snapped off and nearly took my head off ..... the Window right next to my head smashed ... and low and behold, the Blade was in the seat in one peice in my van.... I actually used it again .... but hte insurance company were not happy and now I have a clause saying "Not Covered by incidents involving Rotating MAchinery" -LMAO

Last edited by a moderator:

canongraphy

good on you guys for sharing !!!! here is my first (well second) crash......

The Blade snapped off and nearly took my head off ..... the Window right next to my head smashed ... and low and behold, the Blade was in the seat in one peice in my van.... I actually used it again .... but hte insurance company were not happy and now I have a clause saying "Not Covered by incidents involving Rotating MAchinery" -LMAO

LOL hey thanks for sharing that Westy! Was that your wife at the camera? whomever it was , will they still film for you! :) bet that was a scarey moment.
Of course you are a seasoned vet at this now nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Westy

LEGEND
heh heh ... yeah .... would not be the fact that I tried to land it on its side!!!!! in a mad panic to put the sticks down and hide .... haha

Definitely pilot error!

BOKI

Westy; Looks just like me My first flight ! Thanks for the video! Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom