More testing with the Trex 600 Pro DFC

treff

I would be so worries about those power lines and post maybe they are farther than the camera shows. Like the way you chop the throttle
on landing I will have to give that a go. Nice

Derek

Yeah, those wires and poles were further away than the camera shows. No worries! I actually prefer to fly on the other side of the road but this was a morning flight and the sun would have been in my eyes. Not good.

I actually wasn't chopping the throttle on landing. I was just getting low to the ground and flipping the Throttle Hold for a "Baby Autorotation", lol. Chopping the throttle would SLAM the helicopter to the ground.

Thanks for watching and commenting!

Lee

Looks great Derek.
Something sounds a little crunchy though??
I can hear it all the time, but more so on spool down at the end.
Maybe its just me :)

pvolcko

Yeah something sounds off. When you landed it on the asphalt it sounded like... Not sure maybe a bearing or too loose a gear mesh or need a spacer somewhere? Sounded like a ticking noise in there. In flight could hear some flutter. We're you playing with tail gain between take offs? Gov gain at medium? We're you increasing or decreasing tail gain? Tail didn't look like it was wagging or fluttering, so guessing the flutter is gov gain. Might need to set it a couple points lower.

Derek

Looks great Derek.
Something sounds a little crunchy though??
I can hear it all the time, but more so on spool down at the end.
Maybe its just me :)

Yeah something sounds off. When you landed it on the asphalt it sounded like... Not sure maybe a bearing or too loose a gear mesh or need a spacer somewhere? Sounded like a ticking noise in there. In flight could hear some flutter. We're you playing with tail gain between take offs? Gov gain at medium? We're you increasing or decreasing tail gain? Tail didn't look like it was wagging or fluttering, so guessing the flutter is gov gain. Might need to set it a couple points lower.

Great Flying Derek, That 600 looks mean.

Ok, I put all these quotes together, just to make thing simple. Thanks Dustin! It's getting better each time....

....until today. I've been hearing that noise too and never could pin point it to something so I took it out for a mild hover. I got in the air and did a single pitch pump and the same noise was much louder. I immediately landed with an auto of about 20 feet. After an inspection, it was quite obvious what the noise was from. The umbrella gear, on the torque tube that meets the main drive gear, was missing 3 teeth. Now, I know for a fact that those teeth were NOT missing before this hover but they were there after I landed. So...I imagine that noise was from that umbrella gear, just as that gear was giving out. I got very lucky today with the 600. I was lucky that the gear didn't break entirely and lose all contact with the torque tube. So, I've placed an order with HeliDirect already and the new parts will be here this coming week. I ordered a couple new umbrella gears and some other parts, too.

Other than that, the 600 is fine and we have survived my first auto rotation from 20 feet in the air. It landed so softly, I probably didn't even bend a blade of grass. I am happy!

pvolcko

If you didn't do something to cause it (smack the ground) then having too high a gain on gov or tail could have caused stress that chipped off some teeth. Or too loose gear mesh.

Derek

If you didn't do something to cause it (smack the ground) then having too high a gain on gov or tail could have caused stress that chipped off some teeth. Or too loose gear mesh.

I do remember hearing "some kind of noise" during the very first test spool up. I thought it was coming from the Main Drive Gear that meshes with the umbrella gear on the torque tube. So I replaced it. I still heard the noise. I don't know why but I just started thinking that "perhaps" this was normal. Now I know better. Thankfully I was able to get the helicopter to the ground and I have new parts (and a few extras) ordered. I'm glad that this is my long week at work. My new parts should be here by this weekend, unfortunately I'll be working this weekend, but I can get the parts replaced and we'll try some air time on Monday.

Top Bottom