Prop Monster Mustang 1.55m 6Ch XL-EPO-61inch PNF

mkharrell

Looking at getting this bird from Hobby King? Any info. would be great from anyone how has one. This will be my first warbird.... Any Pros or Cons...

Thanks,,,

Mark

Edit By Tony:

Here is the link to the plane that "I think" he is wanting. This is the USA warehouse and the traditional colors.

Monster Mustang 1.55m 6Ch XL-EPO-61inch PNF

Tony

Staff member
Posting a link to the aircraft would help people search it out. Just to help out, I have put the link in your post.

The problem I have with these and why I will never suggest them is they are made out of foam. This is personal opinion and others may like them, but I'm not going to fly anything that one, keeps my beer cold, and two, flies into a thousand little white balls when you crash it. Again, this is just me. I'm a balsa wood guy. I love flying something that took time to build, not just injected in a mold machine. I'm sure others will have a different opinion. Hell, I may have a different opinion if I actually buy one and fly it lmao.

Lee

You should listen to the latest episode of the RC Today show. He talks about that subject. Balsa or Foam. He is converting all to foam for the exact oposite reasons you state Tony. Milion pieces of foam or million pieces of Balsa, same thing really :D And normally with foam it just snaps and a dab of hot glue and you are back in the air. Balsa as you say takes time to build, which then scares people from flying it. I personally go for foam to fly and balsa for a long adult jigsaw puzzle more for the build than the flying. Each to there own.
As for that plane, I really like that one, if i had the space i'd have it.

Tony

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, if I had the plane given to me, I would fly the wings off of that thing. Well, if I had time lmao.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and order one to try it out. Call me old fashioned, but I just like balsa. But at one time, there was food I didn't like either. When I was a teenager, I HATED fuel injected cars and thought I would ONLY drive naturally aspirated engines. Then I purchased my first Z28 (1995) and EVERYTHING changed! I love fuel injection and know how to tune it. Hell maybe flying with a beer cooler is the same way. Only one way to find out. This is one of the reasons I put "others will chime in" above. Because I'm a little biased.

RandyDSok

I will start off and say right off the bat... no matter how the PR people tout this one, it is not a beginners airframe. Like most warbirds, they are prone to tip stall in turns and easily nose over on landings. The tip stalls on a foamy, aren't quite as bad as a heavier model, but that is all I will allow for them.

When I first got back into the hobby several years ago... I got the FMS P-51D 1450mm ( 57" ) ARF version of this. The reason I went for the ARF is simple... If you read through the forum posts about these you quickly will see that the RTF and PNP versions are known to have the very minimum requirement equipment in them and people were having the ESC's and servos dying left and right. The spinner/prop combination are non-standard... so you will want to purchase several backup props ( if you can find them ) and probably at least one or two spinners ( nose overs will kill props quickly ).

Flight characteristics are typical of a foamy... I usually exaggerate it slightly and say they fly like a wet noodle, but it is not a lot of exaggeration. During high speed passes, the wings wobble as do the tail feathers... so they are less than an accurate flyer. While trying to loop the model... the wings will bend up... one person called it like a "taco" but that is also a slight exaggeration but it certainly doesn't instill any confidence in it. Rolls were not too bad but staying inverted, like many warbirds... can be a bit of a challenge.

The landing gear blocks that are in the wings are in sore need of strengthening with any hot landing likely tearing them out. There are some good and fairly easy mods for the landing gear blocks that can help address this issue. Most were just a matter of cutting out some foam so you can add in some bass or other hard wood in order to help spread out the load into a wider area. If you do a LG mod, also tilt the LG forward so that the axles are just in front of the leading edge of the wing, this will add additional stability on landing to help avoid some of the nose over tendencies as well as make the model a little more scale.

The so called hinges are also all EPO molded. Do not expect them to live long and inspect them regularly for signs of cracks. If this 61" version is build/designed like the 57"... there will be panels on the wings that are glued in... take these apart with a hobby knife and just tack them in using a bit of foam safe CA ( standard CA works also on EPO, but I still use the foam safe just in case ) so you can get to the servo wires because you will likely need to change out the servos and LG servoless gear at some point.

These do pretty much fly at scale speeds... which means, that at this size, it will appear to fly slow. If you don't mind sacrificing the scale looks of the 4 blade prop... and you can find a proper sized spinner for it... switching to a two blade prop will really wake up the model in this area.

Finally... if it isn't obvious from my comments/opinions I listed... I'm with Tony on this. I wouldn't recommend getting this size of a plane in a foamy. These have poor flight characteristics and when you get down to it... repairing a balsa model isn't as tough or hard as people make it out to be. There are reasons that a good quality ARF model costs as much or a bit more than this PnF version... IMO, you can't get a quality well designed flying model for this price range.

Last edited:
Top Bottom