Model builders are not as relevant as we used to be.

svan3001

I drove an hour yesterday to Columbus, Ohio to actually be able to go to a Hobby Shop. I kind of like to touch and see things once in awhile before I buy it. (We have not hobby shop). I went to "Clyclone Hobbies". It was amazing there we hundreds of helicopters, RTA and BNF airplanes, cars and boats etc. I was all mesmerized, then I asked where the kits and supplies were? The reply was we can order any kit you want and the supplies were limited to a four foot display of obsolete dubro parts. I was then told there was just no demand for it. "WOW!!!" I know a lot of people do not have the time to build kits ( I don't myself)but I will find the time. But I can read the satisfaction in the voices of the threads when someone flys the model they just built. You can't replace that with the ARF's and BNF's. It just makes me want to build more so when I go to the airfield and someone says where did you get that model, I can say " I built it Myself!" Thanks for letting me vent. Sam

pvolcko

Kids today, with their RTF RC toys. :)

I'm sure it depends on the shop and the region as to how much kit building vs pre-assembled there is. Guess I'd expect more urban areas to have higher RTF/BNF sales (due to building space limitations, flying space limitations, and potential for more hectic lifestyle cutting into hobby time) and suburb/rural to be more kit oriented.

wolfman76

I love to build also as matter of a fact i have trying to come up with an idea for building a scratch built 1/4 scale turbine powered hydroplane modeled after the 1992 tide hydroplane..

xokia

I'm going to sound like a jerk but people are to stupid these days to assemble it themselves. We live in a society that is used to instant gratification. Learning is to difficult. I have tons of these types of friends. The US is in for a world of hurt in the future. The people here have no clue where the rest of the world is going. They are more hungry and becoming better educated. I'm a geek always have been I feel like Sheldon on Big Bang theory around most people. The only place I feel I fit in is at work around other geeks lol!! For almost anything I'd rather pick up a book and learn to do something myself than pay someone to do it for me.

I know what you're saying Sam. I'm currently looking at getting an RC car, and it is very hard to find a nice kit to build in the style that I am wanting to do.
However, once i decide on what i'm going to get, I'm going to take the time to strip it down, re build it, learn how the thing works, and how to fix those things that may go wrong down the track.
Same with helicopters and planes, most things i get now will be built. The only advantage with BNF and RTR/F is that you get a reasonable price on the list of electronics (albeit they are not far from the cheapest crappiest things made).
A good LHS should be able to put a decent kit together for an electrics kit though

Tony

Staff member
Mike, you are exactly right. People just want something to "grab-n-go". I have built the Telemaster (never finished it though) and I loved every second of building it. Heli kits, love them. When I was racing Rc cars and trucks, I build every single one of them from a kit and was able to set them up the way I wanted.

My planes are all ARF's and I can feel it in the design. Yes, they work, but I would rather have built them. I would not be able to get the covering the way they did though lol. Dammit, now I want to get a new kit to build...

wolfman76

Time to talk to the wifey Tony... Lol i don't think i have seen a build video for a plane kit yet...

Tony

Staff member
Might have to make this happen then lmao. And, there is a build video on the RCH Trainer...

wolfman76

Nah man a balsa kit of some kind i would like to see a warbird of some kind maybe a Texan sumthin you don't see to often maybe a p-38 lightning that would be cool

Last edited:

wolfman76

Just my thoughts i have actually thought about a p-38 lighting for my first real balsa kit build since i already have a p-51 i think she needs a Lil sister.... Lol

Top Bottom