Chargers Misc battery questions

stokke

I have a limited knowledge about batteries.

My instruction manual called for 2200-2300 mah 3S battery, so I got a 2200 mah. But I see there is many 3S batteries with a larger capacity. Can I apply any capacity I want, as long it's 3S and the battery fits under the canopy?

The C rating. My batteries have a 30 C rating. I've read somewhere that if the pack gets very warm, it's an indication that one should have a higher C rated battery - my packs don't get very warm. But would it be the case that I cannot access the maximum available power because of my low C rating?

Charging. I never charge with a higher charge rate than the 2,2 amps that the battery label calls for. Is it safe to use a higher charge rate?

Charging. I always use the balancing plug when charging. Would the pack charge faster if I were not to use the balancing plug?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tony has a great video about this stuff online.. but in a gyst.. YEs till you are sticking to 3S 11.1 V lipos, mah doesnt matter.. you can put a 5000mah 3S lipo on a foamie that'll fly on 1000mah 3S... but then can it carry the weight? thats the question.. ofcourse you can put a bigger mah rated battery in there.. that'll increase your flight time till a point, till the battery starts getting heavier and the vehicle will actually run for a shorter time, and or you'll be loading the motors more for pulling that weight

C rating is just the punch that your battery can supply .. higher C rating is good.. if your batteries arent getting warm, believe me, your rc vehicle doesnt need anymore punch.. almost always a lower C rated battery will swell up.. it wont hold back on you.. motor wont care what battery it is, it'll pull what it wants to pull.. smaller battery will get warm .. hot.. KABOOM... higher battery will be like MEH.. thats all you got!! ? :p :D

Charging.. batteries should specify how many C's they can be charged at.. THIS IS DIFFERENT than the C rating the battery can supply.. If your batteries call for 2.2 .. I suggest doing 2.2 .. that'll make your batteries last much longer. right now you might be making the batteries drink from a fire hose. I charge my 2.2 at 4 A.. do I suggest doing that ? NO... My batteries are 1 year old (turnigies) and they have lost their charge holding capacity.. I get 3.5 minutes max on my 450 and the come down swolen.. used 1400mah max

balancing plug. .balancing is a good practice.. not needed all the time.. but its needed every once in a while.. if you have straight connections to the battery to charge it, yes without the balancer, it'll charge faster. I balance my batteries every 5th charge roughly..

hope it helps

Tony

Staff member
I agree with what Gaba said. I would stick with the 2200mah battery, if the pack is not getting warm, then 30c is fine and I always balance charge my batteries.

stokke

I agree with what Gaba said. I would stick with the 2200mah battery, if the pack is not getting warm, then 30c is fine and I always balance charge my batteries.

Yeah. I will continue to balance charge as well. Only I have been contemplating taking my charger with me when going flying with a friend. My charger has a 12V input, so it can be used on the car battery. And when charging in the field I need the charges to be as fast as possible.

Tony

Staff member
Something like that wouldn't hurt the battery. Just make sure to balance charge it when you are done.

hal9000

And if not going to be flying again for more than a couple of weeks do a storage (dis)charge on the battery.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
See that's where I went wrong. A whole month of not flying and my batteries were lying there at full charge... Came back and now each ad every battery is warm and swollen by the time I am 3.5 minutes on my 450. Hurts that I'll have to get batteries soon. :( lol

hal9000

Sorry to hear that Gaba. But you live and learn. At least they can be got for reasonable price from Chinese suppliers if you are prepared to wait for shipping.

Tony

Staff member
For some of the best, you don't have to wait that long (best as in Chinese terms). Just order the Turnigy's from the HK USA warehouse or order Sky Lipo or Gens Ace from HobbyPartz.

Tasajara

I have found out that the Nanos want last if you put them up charged for as short as a week before you fly. I have 12 , 6- 3000mAh 3s and 6 2200mAh 3s that I run on my Hexa and Quads.
Out of those 12, 9 have started to show signs of puffing at only 30+ cycles. I always balance charge and never run them down past 3.6v per cell.
It's just one of those things that cost you to learn.. :p
I have been trying out some Gen Ace batteries, so far I am liking them. Once I get 30+ cycles on them I will see how they compare to my failing Nanos.
The Nanos would have done better if I had never charged them when I got home from flying and just charged them the night before I went to fly.
I just don't know how much better.

murankar

Staff member
I have well over 30 cycles on my gens ace and I have a tendency to beat the hell out of them. They seem to be holding up and show no signs of puffing.

Adam

I have 1 detrum puffed and my gens ace i have never storage charged it and it has probably 50cycles plus and still kicking butt i just ordered another one. sky lipo 30 + cycles and still great.

Top Bottom