500 Microbeast fbl

Heelroper

In my Blade 480/550 stretch there's the Spektrum 6250 fbl. I have the chance to get a Trex 550 but it has the Microbeast fbl in it. Now the question, it's already set up and flyable but I want to do some PID adjustment's, is that what the three little screws are for? And to make those adjustment's do you have to enter some - mode- within the fbl?
I tried youtube but all the vid's are pretty old. Can anyone give ma a quick low down plzzzzz?
Thanks in advance.

Geena

Staff member
The microbeast doesn`t have PID adjustments. The three dials are gains. From the setup button side.... that dial is for cyclic gain the center dial is for cyclic direct feed forward, and the third one is tail dynamic. The Microbeast, AR7200s, and so on, generally fly very well with all of those dials centered at 6 o-clock- 12 o-clock. I have had to do minor adjustments to the tail dynamic in the past, to get tail to lock in on certain helicopters. You don`t need to enter the setup mode to adjust the dials. just turn them a very small amount. A little goes a long way with those dials.

Heelroper

Thanks very much for your response. I'm sure I will have more questions as a manual seems almost impossible to find. This heli is prolly 10 years old but the fella that flies it flies it well, it just has some wag to it which shakes it a little more than I'm gonna like so some adjustments are a must.
I'm using the NX8 radio and wasn't sure it would even bind to my TX but he assured me it would so were gonna find out tomorrow.
Thanks again

Heelroper

Geena, thx so much for the info and manual site, very informative. So another question. I got the chance to fly the 550 again and that wobble is just gonna make me crazy. It just can't stay that way. So do I dial down the gyro % which is 40.5% now or adjust the gain screws back to the center as you suggested. I understand what gains do and can only assume they work the same on the Beastx as they do on the 6250. I want to start with the right adjustment of course.
I'm not trying to be ugly but the cat that has it just doesn't know what to do, he said that's just the way it flies. I think it should be smoother than that and it will if I can help make it smoother. I was informed that it has never been tipped over or crashed (original blades) so again I assume nothings bent. When it's mine I will probably balance the blades just to be sure.
So gyro or gains?????
Thanks

Geena

Staff member
It 100% shouldn`t be flying like that. I flew beasttx for years, and never had a tail wag that I couldn`t tune out. I would set the dial back to 6-12, and start adjusting the gain. See if that takes care of it. By wobble, do you mean wag?

You should be able to tune that out with gains. If you adjust that tail dynamic dial too much, it will cause you to chase tail issues forever. That`s why I like to adjust the gains first. I also still do my tail setup in rate mode, so it will hover without stick input. Then I turn the gyro on, and start adjusting gains. I turn the gain up high enough to cause it to wag, and then back it down until it settles in. Then I go fly and make slight adjustments from there.

Some other things that can cause tail wagging issues are bad thrust bearings in the tail blade grips, or a sticky or stiff tail slider. Check the mechanics and make sure it`s all moving freely, and smoothly and that the thrust bearings are smooth and have grease in them. If all of that is good, I would start playing with the gain.

Heelroper

Hi Geena, backing the dial's back did indeed help the wag issue. Thx for that. Another question, why would someone set up the TX to have the gyro and flight mode's - NOT - on the same switch? You know like N is 60% - Stunt 1 is 55% - Stunt 2 is 50% gyro percentages on the D switch and the fm switch is the B switch. Coming from the 6250 they are combined in the flight mode switch, but does the microbeast want/demand that the gyro and the flight mode switch not be on the same switch? In the guys radio he uses only the N flight mode and only one gyro setting. When I looked through his settings the two stunt modes had zero % gyro I guess because he never flew in stunt 1 or 2.
I scanned through my Fusion 360 setting's just to compare to his TX and it seems kinda strange but I'm pretty sure the heli and the settings are kinda dated. I'm not saying they're wrong just different I guess.
Is it a bad idea to try to imitate the 6250 Fusion 360 setting's in my radio once I get the template built in my radio and bind it up?
Thanks in advance

Geena

Staff member
Setting the gyro gains, and flight modes on separate switches is not too uncommon. I set mine up that way sometimes, but it`s mainly for tuning the gyro for the things I need to do. Once I get the percentages I need for each flight mode figured out, I just assign it to the flight mode and the clear the gyro switch so that it no longer controls it.

It`s kinda a preference as to what switch/switches you assign the gains to. I typically find that my 3D helicopters all fly well without having to use different amounts of gain. So I just set the gain in my gyro ( I use Bavarian Demon AXON) and forget it. My F3C contest helicopter is different. I have a lot of bank switching set up in that one, because I have a very low (1450 RPM) head speed for hovering. Plus all sorts of delays, function curves and mixes that require me to set the gyro gains for the head and the rudder for different values. If you do find the need for having different tail gains, I would suggest assigning them to the flight mode switch, so you can`t forget to throw the switch.

I would advise against trying to duplicate the settings of another model, because they are all going to fly and behave a little differently. I would do a fresh setup on it, so you know it`s going to be right.

Heelroper

Geena, since you've been so helpful I am hoping you can help with my next issue!! I decided to change the fbl in the Trex, I know you're thinking -- why did I waste my time with this guy? I really did make a effort to explore the microbeast fbl but this one is prolly 10-15 yrs old and I'm just not heli savvy enough yet. Now then the 6250 with foward programming SEEMS to be on the easier side for a novice. We did get the wag/wobble out of this heli before we tried to bind it to my TX. But the little dials just decentigraded as we adjusted them so I used that as a reason to replace the unit. I know I took the easy way out I guess......
Now another question. The tail servo is a ION-LAB D760HB and I can't find any info on it like hz or us rating's. You know like 1520us and 333hz. I need these numbers to put in the TX at setup but it's eluding me. Can you direct me to a source for this info?

Geena

Staff member
I`ll start by saying that helping someone with getting their helicopter flying right is never going to be a waste of my time. It`s a passion. So please, never think that you are bothering me with questions. I`m very VERY happy to help.

I`m sorry that the dials crumbled when you turned them. The beastx is a solid system, and there are a couple of guys at my home flying field who use the Spektrun system They both seem to be happy with, so it should serve you well.

As for information on the tail servo. Here you go..... INO-Lab HG-D760HB Servo Specifications and Reviews Save this website in your favorites. Serco data Base is your friend when it comes to finding hard to find servo specs. Hope this helps.

Edit. This site INO-Lab HG-D761MG DIGITAL SERVO (Coreless motor) tin Shows a photo of the D760MG, but specs for D761MG. I`m thinking that they can`t be too far off from what your servo`s spec are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom