FBL Gyro Micro Brain Fbl Advice

SP1D3R

New to the hobby. I'm currently in the set up phase of my Oxy 2 build. As I go through the Micro Brain 2 / Ikon software wizard - I'm having some issues at the servo set up menu. It seems as though when I enter check mode, I'm able to level my swash plate and all my flight controls work perfectly - all servos return to their neutral position immediately. However, the moment that I leave check mode, the servos change position and no longer have the same crisp return to neutral, or don't return to neutral at all. I can't figure out why everything works perfectly in 'check mode' (both in wizard, and check box in advanced) - but the moment check mode is deactivated the servos lose their zero.

If I close the software and disconnect the FBL from my PC, check mode stays on and the flight controls remain crisp, but once power is cycled to the unit, the servos reset again. Can anyone help me understand why my flight controls only respond properly in 'check mode?'

Tony

Staff member
"Check Mode" as you call it doesn't have an active gyro in the mix. When you leave that mode, the gyro is in effect and it will return to center slowly, this is normal. It is also normal for it to not be perfectly centered. They gyro sensed a movement and is trying to correct for that movement.

Once you have everything setup, take it out for a very careful test flight and see how it responds. Ikon is one of the best gyro's out there and should do great if you have it setup correctly.

SP1D3R

Thanks for the response - that's what I ended up figuring. I was able to take it out today - unfortunately had some issues with collective pitch being reversed and then my main rotor spindle not being sufficiently loctite-ed (heh that was exciting), but overall I think I'm really close to having the Oxy 2 successfully airborne.

I also flew my Blade 150 S in 3D mode for the first time today and successfully did some rolls and flips, but ultimately crashed her during an inverted hover because I didn't have enough negative collective pitch travel (actually bent the main rotor spindle, and cracked the canopy). Still had a great day and I love working on these things so no worries. I should probably spend a bit more time in the simulator before trying more 3D stuff though.

Tony

Staff member
Definitely don't like hearing about "exciting" flights like that. Hopefully you brought it down in one piece. It's all definitely a learning curve, just stick with it.

Top Bottom