Micro mCPX BL tail replacment question

pvolcko

So I'm replacing the hollow tube tail boom with a horizon hobby stock solid tail boom. My issue is that the boom does not get captured by the frame. I don't know if I need to sand down the key on the boom some more for it to slide fully into the frame and be properly captured, or if one generally has to zap goo these things in, or what.

Little help from those in the know would be appreciated. :)

Tony

Staff member
I would compare it to the old tail boom. If there is any difference, then yes, you can sand it down. I do NOT suggest gluing it into the frame. If you break the tail boom, you will have ot replace the whole frame and not just the boom if you do so. But, it should lock in to place and NOT spin.

pvolcko

Unfortunately the old boom is cracked and I attempted to repair it so the dimensions are all off now. It is roughly the same size, but the difference here can be thousands of an inch so that isn't too helpful as an exemplar anymore. It is loose since the solid boom doesn't have the wires running along the top when the boom is inserted. However, it doesn't seem to slide all the way in and capture. I'll try filing a little on the flat spot, little by little, to see if I can get it to capture.

pvolcko

Well, after filing the flat spot a bit more and still no luck, I began wondering if maybe the tail hole in the frame is sized with the idea that there would be wires running along the top, creating a pressure point. So I put a couple layers of CA on the flat spot to fill it in (and a little more) and behold, it grabbed and fit snuggly. Problem solved.

Man this thing is twitchy. :)

pvolcko

And I got my first injury from a heli. mCPX-BL swatted out of the sky by my right hand to protect my theater room projection screen. Sliced my pinky finger. Damn near fileted it. Hoping it looks okay tomorrow, if not may need to make a trip to the doc to see if it needs stitches. No nerve damage. Doesn't hurt too bad. No real bruising around the knuckle.

And I'm not flying it in that room anymore. It's big enough to fly the nCPX but the mCPX-BL needs more room and less obstacles. Too powerful and too touchy.

Top Bottom