600 Major Delima here!

DAL2855

Banned
I'm torn between going with 3 different kits right now. I have looked on ebay and have found a Trex 550 DFC kit minus all the electronics for 390.00, or another Clone Kit from HK, or waiting another week longer and getting a SAB 500 kit from HeliDirect. I'm tired of trying to rebuild this clone kit. I've replaced every single part on it with align parts and it is still giving me nothing but problems.

So I'm just going to do a re-kit but can't decide which way to go here. I really want to get the SAB, but don't think my flying abilities are good enough yet to be putting a bird like that into the air just yet. Why I'm leaning more towards the 550 DFC kit minus electronics I found on ebay. Will be going with a NAZA-H FBL gyro as well. No matter which kit I go with.

pvolcko

YOu already have a clone which you have practically replaced with align parts, so no reason to go back to a clone kit, assuming you were replacing parts in order to solve problems. If you don't think you're ready/willing to fly a Goblin, then gotta go 550 DFC, no?

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah that's what I'm leaning more towards. Is the Trex 550 DFC kit on ebay. Another question as well, should the local elementary school baseball field be big enough area to fly the 550? I know here at the house where I've been flying, I have hardly enough room for a 450. I can hover the 550, but can't hardly move it around at all. And to get above all the obstacles, trees, houses and such, I have to get above about 70 feet or so. And not sure I feel comfortable putting the 550 up that high just yet.

Now the 450, I've had it up close to 150 ft so far. And feel pretty confident flying it that high now. But I also need to order parts for it now as well, as it tried to attack me the other evening. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. Was hovering solid, then all of a sudden, it started jumping up and down in altitude, and I tried to re-gain a solid control of it and land it, then all of a sudden, it came sideways at me at full speed (or what seemed full speed) and the only thing I could do was hit throttle hold and hit the ground to keep from being hit.

Tony

Staff member
I don't see the issue here. Before you said that the clone kits were "really good" and you could make them "better than Align for way less". I don't talk out my ass when I try to inform members of the forum of the quality of HK. They are crap, period.

So like I said, there is no issue here. Spend half the money and get the Align, or spend double the money and get the SAB. About a week ago you said you were broke, so the Align is the LOGICAL choice IMO.

heli-maniac

Tony Your talking to a wall again
I would go Trex 550 They are a lot cheaper to fix than a Goblin and as much as your crashing I dont even think a Trex 550 will stand up
Thats My 2 cents But what do i Know

Last edited:

pvolcko

Be careful about flying on other's property. Get permission from the school first. Way things are these days vis a vis school security and whatnot, going in there and firing up a 550 unannounced is likely going to draw a very negative reaction. Personally, I'd see if you can find a club locally or a farmer willing to let you fly in a field. If you do get permission and fly at the school field, make sure no kids are around. When they are young they have no sense of the environment around them and will literally run headlong into the flight area and even the heli itself, completely oblivious, if they get away from their watchers.

Last edited:

flysolo

+1.

I would not fly my 550 anywhere outside designated flying areas. I don't like the idea of having someone fly a 450 over my house/yard either even if it's 150 feet up in the air to be honest.

Stambo

I have a 5 year old, and as much as he begs me to fly my "big hewicoppa" when he is around I just tell him no, it's too dangerous.
There is no way I would risk the well-being of my son by flying my 500 when he is around.
How can you watch what the heli is doing as well as watch your surroundings?
Things can and do go wrong but where my son, or any other child for that matter, are involved?
Hell no, not on my watch.
These things are flying lawn mowers, you must have seen what damage they can do.
My thoughts for what they are worth, find somewhere far safer than a school ground.

DAL2855

Banned
I would only be flying on the school field in the evenings when no children are present. Not during the school day! Yeah I totally agree, I would not have children around when flying this huge helicopter. I have two children myself and yes I've seen the damage they can cause. And in no way would want something happening to a child. I do not have a local club to join. Nearest one is 45 miles away and I do not have a DL or vehicle so I can't join them.

And I think I've finally decided that I'm going to convert the tail over to a belt driven tail, alot less parts to worry about stripping or replacing. I am curious to know, does the belt driven tails have less vibs than a TT driven tail? It would make sense because there's no shaft to vibrate, but then again, if the belt is too loose, the belt could vibrate.

Top Bottom