Maiden hover was bad very bad

canongraphy

Maiden hover was bad very bad

Hey guys..
well I took my 600 to work today with plans to hover it after work.
My training gear didn't fit so I decided to do it without it.......
Will post more about it after some of you get a look.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/REfj-3fnkY0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/REfj-3fnkY0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Lee

Ouch!!! Sorry to see that.
Try to keep the heli low until you are happy everything is ok. It looked like it was out of control from the second you took off. Just a safety point. A 450 will hurt you bad, a 600 will kill you. Don't take risks with a bird that big.
Fix it and fly again. :D

canongraphy

Ouch!!! Sorry to see that.
Try to keep the heli low until you are happy everything is ok. It looked like it was out of control from the second you took off. Just a safety point. A 450 will hurt you bad, a 600 will kill you. Don't take risks with a bird that big.
Fix it and fly again. :D

Yep I know Lee and you are correct it was out of control right away, When it got close to the owners trailer, I really freaked.
The training gear didn't fit which I didn't realize until I got to bolting it on, I told myself to wait until I had it, but of course my impatient side said...naa you can do this.
I will say the first 10 sec I had a huge rush and was loving it, even not under control.

The only thing missing from this video is a statement at the start...is.. "hold my beer and watch this"
stupid very stupid and I am sick. It is technically totaled but of course I will rebuild it over time and it will fly again.
What a day.

murankar

Staff member
To bad for the maiden. Sorry to see that. If its that bad just re-kit it. It could save you some money.

While learning to fly with out training gear just take short hops into the air. Watch how it drifts then trim as needed. Once you see it go straight up and down you'll known your close to trim.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Matthias, it will never go straight up and down, it will always drift to the left. 3'+ is when you want to test for trim.

That sucks about the crash, but I 100% agree with Lee. You should keep it much lower and try to keep it in one place. I don't like my how to fly videos, but I do like the points that are made in them. Put down a square of wood or something and try to stay over it. When you are starting out, try to not go above 5' and be ready to drop the throttle. And make sure to get that training gear put on. All training gear will have to be ziptied on, Just in case you were trying to snap it on. You want the heli sitting on top of it.

Build, Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Fly AGAIN! That's the name of the game.

canongraphy

Matthias, it will never go straight up and down, it will always drift to the left. 3'+ is when you want to test for trim.

That sucks about the crash, but I 100% agree with Lee. You should keep it much lower and try to keep it in one place. I don't like my how to fly videos, but I do like the points that are made in them. Put down a square of wood or something and try to stay over it. When you are starting out, try to not go above 5' and be ready to drop the throttle. And make sure to get that training gear put on. All training gear will have to be ziptied on, Just in case you were trying to snap it on. You want the heli sitting on top of it.

Build, Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Fly AGAIN! That's the name of the game.

Yea Tony that was the plan, stay low and see how well it hovers but as you seen it went hard right and I started to correct it on but the second wave to the right I started to panic because I didn't want to hit the trailer so I took it higher which saved that but of course that resulted in a hard left which as a noob I didn't get under control.
I think I was shocked when it didn't go left. zthe typical noob actions when you bite off more than you can chew.
It looks repairable so far, I thought the frame was busted but it wasn't. The entire tail is trashed including the gears in the body and the main gear.
The flybar is bent a little and I haven't checked but I bet the main rod is bent a little. I would be surprised if it wasn't.
Looks like a good time to do a DFC swap and put 3GX on it, I wasn't crazy about the Futaba GY401 anyway. So its gonna go too.
New complete tail boom assembly and gears. I still have to check the servo's to see if any are hurt yet. Looks ok but that means nothing.
I lost 1 main blade, I guess that's what took the tail out, it looks like it was hit with a baseball bat.
Some learning experiences are just very expensive.
But no I won't give up.
I am determined to become a great pilot as I love helicopters. I just need to be ready before I try a stunt like that again, I am old enough to know better, but also stubborn LOL
I am still mad at myself because I could of avoided the whole thing by just waiting a while longer.
But I have to tell you, you can watch a thousand video's but its nothing like being there in person and I loved the brief moment trying to get it under control.
So no RIP the 600 will fly again..eh someday.

Thank you Murankar, yes I was hoping for it to go just like that, a nice hover.

And Tony, the landing gear actually bolts on its a heavy duty set just like I had on the 450 vid when I hit the skids
wow i'm 0 for 2 now.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What is your pitch curve? That thing looked like it slammed into the ground with full negative pitch. Also, check your feathering shaft. If your blades flexed enough to hit the tail boom, then that feathering shaft is toast as well.

Crashes suck, I know lol. Just wait, I will be lawndarting this 600N that I have into the dirt someday... Not ready for that one lol.

canongraphy

What is your pitch curve? That thing looked like it slammed into the ground with full negative pitch. Also, check your feathering shaft. If your blades flexed enough to hit the tail boom, then that feathering shaft is toast as well.

Crashes suck, I know lol. Just wait, I will be lawndarting this 600N that I have into the dirt someday... Not ready for that one lol.

Pitch curves were
normal 46 48 50 75 100

IU1 0 25 50 75 100

wow maybe I bumped it into TH1 that would explain the fast slam but I don't think it was I wasn't even planning to use IU anytime soon, just normal until I got comfortable then switch to IU
I did hit TH but am pretty sure it was after it smacked hard.. another mistake
I also thought had I not been in a panic I should of shut it down and autorotated down, but I wasn't thinking of course, just reacting.

And LOL at lawndarting might be better than asphaltdarting!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, T-Hold will shove that thing into the ground too at full negative pitch. Not good. But don't change it because you never know when you need that negative pitch.

I think there is a way to program in flight failures in phoenix (I know there is) and that may be a good idea to see if you can recover from them and try to land them. Servo failures suck as they completely kill the collective lmao. but it's fun to play with it.

Oh, and those curves are great, stick with what you have. Just making sure.

Ken Jackson

Canongraphy so sorry to see your video. I just repaired my 500 and set up my 3GX again. Ready for hover test flight. Shouldn't have watched this video first. Well maybe its better I did. I generally hover 3-4 feet until everything seems OK. Not sure the training gear would have made a lot of difference since a main blade took out the tail.

canongraphy

Canongraphy so sorry to see your video. I just repaired my 500 and set up my 3GX again. Ready for hover test flight. Shouldn't have watched this video first. Well maybe its better I did. I generally hover 3-4 feet until everything seems OK. Not sure the training gear would have made a lot of difference since a main blade took out the tail.

Thanks Ken, yea I was planning to hover it at 3 or 4 feet, that was the plan, just steady hover in place and use up batteries over and over until I was ready to progress.
As you see in the video I really never had control so it was my fault. I still have no idea if I even had it set up correct, didn't last long enough to find out.
I say it was lack of experience. After watching it a thousand times, and yes the hair on my back stood up every time it hit the asphalt, I don't see anything wrong that would of prevented me from getting it under control, I simply grossly overcorrected many times. Panic didn't help when I realized I wasn't gonna be able to reel it back in.
But my flight was 1:15 that's 3 seconds longer than my 450 lasted! so small improvement :p hahahaha
oh well it will be fixed and made even better.

Westy

LEGEND
wow .... sorry to see that dude! thanks for sharing though! is always hard seeing all your hard work and effort slam down and then the $$$$$ start rolling past your eyes before you pass out!

they do hit hard ... they weigh a fair bit! .... don't stand so close next time .... I was freaking out watch you :)

give us a damage report ..... and yep in Phoenix RC there is failure settings.

setup failures.jpg

setup failures.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfman

Oh no man that was rough! Made me sick to my stomach as well, as they say back to the drawing board. Tough Flight

Randy

stokke

I'm very sorry to see that video Jeff :( Hope it didn't set you back to much?

Be very careful the next time you try it, didn't look like you were quite ready.

canongraphy

I'm very sorry to see that video Jeff :( Hope it didn't set you back to much?

Be very careful the next time you try it, didn't look like you were quite ready.

You are absolutely correct Marius, I wasn't ready, I think I thought it would just hover nicely by itself lol but it was a wild ride right out of the gate, the first 10 seconds I thought I was gonna get it under control, but nope.
Was lack of experience, and once again too small of area to be noob flying in. The lot is very big but funny how it closes in when you lift a heli into the air.
I will say this, I am going to buy another 450 probably a 450 Pro DFC and let my 600 sit (after I fix it) until I am ready, its simply too expensive to be slamming into the ground.
As you may of read in my other posts, I am upgrading to DFC and probably Ikon gyro.
I stripped almost all the gears, the complete tail, boom are all destroyed so have that to order later.
Gears and DFC upgrade will be in here tomorrow maybe so I can start on it. Good times

Oh no man that was rough! Made me sick to my stomach as well, as they say back to the drawing board. Tough Flight

Randy

Thanks Randy yea not at all like I had planned that's for sure.

wow .... sorry to see that dude! thanks for sharing though! is always hard seeing all your hard work and effort slam down and then the $$$$$ start rolling past your eyes before you pass out!

they do hit hard ... they weigh a fair bit! .... don't stand so close next time .... I was freaking out watch you :)

give us a damage report ..... and yep in Phoenix RC there is failure settings.

View attachment 5285

Thanks Westy, I wasn't too close, it looks like it in the vid but I was a good ways away, when it went to the trailer is when I really freaked and from that point I guess I was so flustered I stopped thinking and it was over quickly.

Top Bottom