VTX Lower Frequency Channels Usually Have Higher Output Power

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I read an article saying that if you use a lower frequency channel that the output power is higher. I'm confused on this. Right now I'm using race band CH 8 that has frequency reading 5917 on my lumenier TX5G6R mini 600W/race band VTX. So if I use like race band CH 1 that reads 5856, how is that so that the output power is higher then CH 8 @ 5917. I know you need a HAM license to use those higher channel, which is not a problem but still don't understand lower frequency, higher output. I'm using 3 dbic on the quads and 10 dbic on my fats hark dual antenna goggles on one side and 9.5 dbic on my other side pointed 45 degrees away from each other. So my question is with the set up I have which would be more appropriate channel to use, a lower ch like race band 1 or race band 8. Everything is 5.8 GHz

Tony

Staff member
Lower frequency has more penetrating power, but they are all in the 5ghz band (for the most part) so they are not going to penetrate that well no matter what channel you are on. And we are not talking about anything that a human can really see through a pair of goggles. Most of the time, if you change channels and you have a better connection, it's because there are other devices on or near the frequency you were previously using. That is the way I see it anyway. 200mw is 200mw no matter how you look at it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
So if it's 200mw or 600mw , it really doesn't make a different if i'm on ch 8 vs ch 5. As long as I don't have any interference, I should be able to use any channel I want.

Tony

Staff member
That is correct. The frequency is so high (in the 5 gigahertz range) that going 300 megahertz is not going to make much of a difference at all. Penetration through trees and buildings is pretty much the same. Just pick a clear channel and have fun.

Top Bottom