General losing altitude during turns??normal

sarconastic

Ok got my v912 sort of setup. I can get it to hover pretty decent but when I start flying forward and add any tail rotor or left or right it loses altitude pretty fast. It gets to moving really good but it almost wants to roll over if I add to much throttle to get it up in the air and maintain height as well. This may just be a rooky trying to fly, but I am curious about it. ANy tips

Woody

pvolcko

When you bank it will tend to lose some altitude. Also using rudder and not affecting throttle (in a way you dont want) is tricky. It will take practice. Take it slow. Big wide turns to start and then make them faster and tighter as you feel comfortable and gain control.

sarconastic

kewl, thanks for the reply, I figured it was something like that. Just normal impatient me, I want fast and loud right now lol.

Woody

Lee

Don't forget you need to add a touch of up elevator.
So bank over slightly with Aileron then use rudder and elevator to guide it round the bend.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, exactly. To keep it from losing altitude, you must pull the nose up in a turn. Unlike a plane, you MUST use rudder to bring the tail around.

sarconastic

Where this is confusing to me is that I have to push forward on the stick to make the heli move forward, the pulling back in the corner is a wired idea to me. something that I have to get used to for sure. Is it easier on a heli that has variable pitch? Or harder.

Woody

Tony

Staff member
Turning will be the same on a CP (collective pitch) helicopter as it is on a FP (Fixed Pitch) helicopter. And yes, it's a little weird at first, but you do get used to it the more you fly.

Derek

This is for sure a "weird concept" to grasp. I was having the same issue and concerns when I started but once you do it a couple of times, and get a few flights under your belt, it becomes rather natural.

pvolcko

FP and CP helis do fly differently. Whereas with FP you will need to hold some cyclic forward (and right/left as appropriate for the turn) through the turn (lessening bank input as you approach the end of the turn), since it will want to return to hover if you go to center stick, on a CP heli you do not hold aileron or elevator "into" and through the turn. You get going forward (forward elevator then back to center), you bank it (left or right for a burst an then back to center), and then rudder it around, using nose up elevator (back on the stick) to maintain speed and level flight. Without nose up elevator, as you rudder around the turn, the nose will acquire a steeper and steeper angle (it is ruddering into the bank angle you set up at the outset) and thus will tend to pick up speed and/or lose altitude as a result.

Top Bottom