700 loose muffler

buel williams

Hi all it's been a while. I can't seem to keep muffler tight on my MA whiplash 700. Zenoah engine and 4000-12 muffler. The heli also tilt's to right in flight. It is two piece manifold and muffler and sticks out from frame. I think that and the weight might be the cause that not sure. I have tried thread lock, permatex gasket exhaust no help. have not used lock washers maybe give that a try. I ordered a one piece muffler that bolts close to frame like a nitro. Any brain farts would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
This is definitely a Geena question since this is right up her alley. For me, black silicone has done the trick, however I have very few hours with nitro, and no hours with a .90.

buel williams

This is definitely a Geena question since this is right up her alley. For me, black silicone has done the trick, however I have very few hours with nitro, and no hours with a .90.
Black silicone you say ok will give it a try with new muffler. also I was mistaken I did have lock washers on bolts. And thanks tony.

Geena

Staff member
I`m not really familiar with Zenoah engines. But if the muffler bolts go all the way through the engine`s exhaust mount like they do on OS and YS nitro engines, you can use a jam nut. I use jam nuts on my nitro, and the pipes have never worked loose. If the bolt holes are threaded and don`t go all the way through, my suggestion is lock washers or good compression washers. Or maybe loctite 272.

buel williams

I`m not really familiar with Zenoah engines. But if the muffler bolts go all the way through the engine`s exhaust mount like they do on OS and YS nitro engines, you can use a jam nut. I use jam nuts on my nitro, and the pipes have never worked loose. If the bolt holes are threaded and don`t go all the way through, my suggestion is lock washers or good compression washers. Or maybe loctite 272.
yea sad to say the bolts tread into engine block. I'll take any ideas I can get to maybe stop this problem. and thank you again.

Tony

Staff member
If the bolts can pass through the block where you can put a jam nut on the back side, that could also be an option. But if threading into a blind hole, kind of limited.

Geena

Staff member
You might want to try lock washers and a dab of 272 as well. Just don`t use too much of the 272. It will take quite a bit of heat to get it loose, if you have to take the muffler off.

buel williams

You might want to try lock washers and a dab of 272 as well. Just don`t use too much of the 272. It will take quite a bit of heat to get it loose, if you have to take the muffler off.
I think the style of muffler with the weight and offset is the big problem. I try the 272 and lock washers with new muffler and fingers crossed keep flying.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I think the style of muffler with the weight and offset is the big problem. I try the 272 and lock washers with new muffler and fingers crossed keep flying.
I agree since you heli will automatically tilt to the right while in flight, with this muffler It could just a fraction of a gram or two to off set the balance.
Hi all it's been a while. I can't seem to keep muffler tight on my MA whiplash 700. Zenoah engine and 4000-12 muffler. The heli also tilt's to right in flight. It is two piece manifold and muffler and sticks out from frame. I think that and the weight might be the cause that not sure. I have tried thread lock, permatex gasket exhaust no help. have not used lock washers maybe give that a try. I ordered a one piece muffler that bolts close to frame like a nitro. Any brain farts would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom