Lockdown Flying Anyone?

Smoggie

Strange times we find ourselves in.

Is anyone else managing to get any flying in during 'lockdown'? All the official club flying fields in the UK are closed due to the lockdown. Luckily i have a bit of waste-ground a few minuted from my home that i can go to and not be near anyone, so I've been managing to get some flying in.

Today I dusted off my Goblin 700 Speed which hasn't been flown in about a year, plus my new TDR2. I got 5 good flights in.

Love to see your lockdown photos and videoslockdown_busting.jpg s.

Admiral

My only flying to date has been with Micros in the back yard, but there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, currently we can only go out for food shopping medical etc and be fined if we are outside our Postcode without a good reason. From the 1st May there is some easing of restriction they are opening National Parks and allowing none essential shopping hopefully that goes well and they will continue to ease up.

IMG_4436 (Medium).JPG
Other than these a quick hover with a couple of helicopters I'm working on.

Smoggie

currently we can only go out for food shopping medical etc and be fined if we are outside our Postcode without a good reason.

Our lockdown rules are similar but i'm happy to take the chance of a fine. The wasteland I fly at is deserted, no one there to give a virus to (and I dont have a virus anyway:rolleyes:). Where I fly cant even be seen from the road so if the police do happen to drive past they wont know i'm there. I think there should be room for some common sense, i certainly dont think I'm putting anyone at risk, despite what the 'rules' may say.

I hope your rules get relaxed soon so that some element of normal life can resume.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm like you Smoggie. I'm happy to take a chance of a fine o_O. I can't fly at my favorite park now but next to Lowes there's a big open area I can fly at that nobody will bother me. The second area is right across from the beach in a open field that there's a fire department/emt station is located. I already talk to them and they don't care as long as I don't bother anyone or anyone bothers me :warning:. I also have a plus on my side. Working with the sheriffs lost and found K-9 unit as a drone/quad pilot, they know the lady officer I train with and sort of know me too...which helps. Our restrictions are being lifted on May 1st, like Admiral so not much longer and I can go back to the park again :yahoo:.

Smoggie

Great to hear that your restrictions are being lifted soon. I think we will be in full lockdown for a while longer by the sound of it, which is frustrating because in my part of the UK there are are very few cases. It all seems quite 'over the top' to me to apply these restrictions across the board in all locations.
In the event that i do have to stop sneaking to the secret field, i've got myself an XK K130 micro heli. It's a nice little thing for the price but a tricky beast to fly when out of 6G stability mode. I've had one big crash with it already.

Library picture:
Original-XK-K130-2-4G-6CH-Brushless-3D6G-System-Flybarless-RC-Helicopter-RTF-for-Super-Combo.jpg

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Looks like a cute little bird to tame. Can wait to see a video of this hummingbird on crack LMAO!

Smoggie

Looks Can wait to see a video of this hummingbird on crack LMAO!

It would be a very boring video. It's all i can do to fly circuits and the odd pirouette with this thing. Micros are so much harder to fly than the big ones! How anyone suggests micros to beginners is beyond me. No wonder lots of people get put off the hobby after starting with a micro.

murankar

Staff member
I got one i door flight and the oxy2 is a bit of a mess now. Its going to be about $75 to fix. The oxy 3 is still waiting on me. I got packs that need cycled yet. What i thinking is maybe today or tomorrow going out and working on that.

Smoggie

Indoor flying doesnt give you much room for errors, and everything you can hit is hard and unforgiving. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Smoggie

Lockown here is supposed to being very lifted slightly from Thursday. Outdoor hobbies/sports are 'legal' again providing distancing is respected. That should allow club fields to open again. In the meantime i got out under the radar again:

Testing a new upgraded tail belt and 'speedup' pulley on the SoXos Strike 7 and a few upgrades on my old TDR. TDR2 came along as well of course:
IMG_2244.jpg

Top Bottom