Local Hobby Shops (lhs) Should Support You!!!

Tony

Staff member
Heli Direct is a great online hobby store. The only issue I have with them is their shipping prices. They are VERY high for what you are ordering. I had to order a single main shaft one time. It was a $1.50 part, and the shipping was $4.00. I know for a fact that you can ship that single shaft first class for about $1.60.

But you are right, their CS is great. And they seem to have a decent selection of parts. However, they are out of my batteries as well hahaha.

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Heli Direct is a great online hobby store. The only issue I have with them is their shipping prices. They are VERY high for what you are ordering. I had to order a single main shaft one time. It was a $1.50 part, and the shipping was $4.00. I know for a fact that you can ship that single shaft first class for about $1.60.

But you are right, their CS is great. And they seem to have a decent selection of parts. However, they are out of my batteries as well hahaha.

lol... I pay next to nothing for shipping and get it next day! There prices are a little $$$ but the extra cheap shipping makes up for it, but I know that is not the case for everyone.

I also love the 10% discount i get from them...waiting for the next email with a coupon to order my Huey.

PaulRC

I've got 2 local hobby shops near me. One of them they look at me, like I'm there to waste their time. So I don't go there any more. But the other local hobby shop is great. The owner Peter helps me out on advice on what tools I need and which tools are the best to have etc. I buy all my stuff from him now. They have a wide selections of helis, planes, and sail planes. preety kool :tan:

john2012

Banned
Well i do ues three hobby shops because there are none near me. 1 Horizon hobby in il great people and great service. 2. align T-rex store out of hacienda hts ca 626 765 1080 great help and service, 3. helidirect and they seem to be great also for me i have had no problems ever with these three stores for being online. Like i said no lhs near me that i can trust ?????

Tony

Staff member
Where is that located? That sounds like the one in Newcastle. Might be wrong though.

callsign4223

Staff member
I went by there once, they have really odd hours and were already closed. It looked like a really small shop though. Saw some plane kits in the front window.

sts41

Here is another look at this.... I love my LHS... Go there all the time, and know all the workers and owners by name. It is a small shop with, for the most part, only one person watching the cash at any one time.... They take the time to talk with people and help out.... If you buy a power connector, they will install it... I am the sort of person that goes in with a purpose... Pick my parts off the walls... walk over to the cash, and sometime wait for 20-30 minutes to be able to pay... There are days I wish they weren't so friendly and helpful :)

Steve

RAZOR 5

I have one of those shops close to me in Orlando, FL. I just go in and get small items from them. I have heard really good things about Heads Up RC in Ocala, Florida. They can help you online at www.headsuprc.com

Derek

Well, I have to say that I'm, once again, disappointed with my LHS.

I was doing a test hover with my Trex 450 DFC Pro, last week, and unfortunately it tipped over and damaged some parts. I went to my LHS to get new replacement parts. None of the parts I was looking for were in stock. They said they could order them for me and they would be at the shop on Tuesday (two days ago). I was hesitant, but I agreed. Tuesday comes and I get no phone call from them. No matter, I had to work Tuesday. Wednesday afternoon comes and I call them to see if my parts came in. They tell me no. I'm a quite disappointed. Now, here we are on Thursday. I call them to see if my parts have come in. They tell me no.

Now...I have to work my usual 12 hour shifts on the next three nights. What do I do? Do I continue to wait and hope that the parts will show up at the hobby shop or do I just order the parts, myself, from Heli Direct and I know the parts will be at my door on Monday when I'm off work?

I can tell you this..I am not happy about this massive disappointment.

Derek

Well, I have to say that I'm, once again, disappointed with my LHS.

I was doing a test hover with my Trex 450 DFC Pro, last week, and unfortunately it tipped over and damaged some parts. I went to my LHS to get new replacement parts. None of the parts I was looking for were in stock. They said they could order them for me and they would be at the shop on Tuesday (two days ago). I was hesitant, but I agreed. Tuesday comes and I get no phone call from them. No matter, I had to work Tuesday. Wednesday afternoon comes and I call them to see if my parts came in. They tell me no. I'm a quite disappointed. Now, here we are on Thursday. I call them to see if my parts have come in. They tell me no.

Now...I have to work my usual 12 hour shifts on the next three nights. What do I do? Do I continue to wait and hope that the parts will show up at the hobby shop or do I just order the parts, myself, from Heli Direct and I know the parts will be at my door on Monday when I'm off work?

I can tell you this..I am not happy about this massive disappointment.

Stambo

I have been to my LHS a few times and been ignored by someone on the phone.
The last time, the guy who I know to be the owner, was on the phone on an obvious non business call.
He did not even acknowledge that I was there.
I waited for a while with still no acknowledgement so I left and as far as I am concerned I will not go back.

Tony

Staff member
Derek, this is exactly why I no longer shop at my LHS. Bunch of asshats that I don't want to deal with. Make an order with amain, it's shipped that day or the next, and I have the parts in 3 days. If there is something wrong with my order, they fix it immediately. People are not killing the LHS, the LHS is killing the LHS. Maybe RCH should start an Rc Shop...

Derek

Yeah, A Main Hobbies has been very good to me in the past, too. I just find Heli Direct's website more "user-friendly." Either site has better service than my LHS. It's a pity.

murankar

Staff member
I have not had one bad thing to say about either site. I have 3 orders with heli direct and many From a min.

Now I did make a a tiny purchase with rotoarywingrc.com and again it was flawless.

Down side to Killeen Texas is that I have to travel at least 3 hours to get to a hobby shop. So I am stuck with online shopping.

I would love to open a hobby shop.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

The real pity of the whole situation is that my LHS is a mere 10 drive away from my house. After leaving my house, I would make two turns and I'd be in their parking lot. I also just spent a bit over $900 in there, two weeks ago. Do I need to spend $900 to get service? Well, that's not gonna happen, lol.

So...now I am "still" without the needed parts for my 450. Even if they do show up, I have to work the next 3 nights so I won't have any time to do the repairs until Monday.......just not happy about waiting for two weeks for my dang parts.

pvolcko

Sorry to hear your lhs sucks. The people at mine are pretty attentive. I do have to order just about everything I go there for, but usually the stuff if in within 2 days.

That said, I'm amazed they are still in biz. They have a few people working each day. They can't be doing much business. They stock low to some mid level stuff, but most of the good stuff is order only. They do good biz during Christmas but not enough to sustain the year. Don't know how they keep it open.

mudbogger

The hobby shop both me and my dad go to is very small. Although they do have a lot of R/C airplane and R/C helicopter parts. Same with transmitters and recievers. The stock is almost always full. The hobby shop is called "Aero Tech Hobbies". Here is a link to the hobby shop's website: Hobby Stores | Aero Tech Hobbies, North Canton, OH . You can't shop on the website-but you can get directions to the shop if you want to stop by.

Sadly though, this is the only hobby shop around me. Otherwise I have to shop online for R/C stuff...which can get annoying if your impatient like me. I hate having to wait on shipping!

Derek

Hey there, mudbogger! That hobby shop that you are talking about is in Canton, Ohio...isn't it? I've been there! I use to live in Canton, quite a few years ago. It is a small shop but I never had any issues while shopping there.

Admiral

My close LHS's are mainly into RC Cars, but on the other side of the city about an hours drive is Zeejays a LHS going from strength to strength, they are expanding into a new shop shortly, and why good 1 on 1 service, good telephone service and great internet service. They sell almost exclusively RC helicopters keep plenty of stock their prices are competitive and their service friendly how could they fail.

Top Bottom