450 Lipo get warm when install training gear

Can any body plz see if my training gear is too heavy? I recenly bought a 450X and never fly a CP heli before. That why i did some reseach and end up with makeing my own traning gear using 2 bamboo stakes and 4 wiffle golf balls. I just had a fly with it tonight and when i unpluged battery it is pretty warm. I never have this issue like this before with the Blade 200SRX (even with the traning gear). Therefore i wondering how much the weight traning gear is enought for the 450 size heli. The one that i made is 60 grams and i also have some pic with this thread.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Smoggie

60g won't make a big difference to a 450 class heli. The batteries getting warm is quite normal, larger batteries heat up more than small ones.

Tony

Staff member
As Smoggie said, it's normal for a little heat to be in the batteries after a flight. If you are worried about it, you can go to a higher C rating which will keep them cooler. If they are getting hotter than about 50c, then I would definitely go to a higher C rating on the battery.

Derek

Well, a higher C rating can handle more of a load. I use to think this was untrue but I started buying batteries with 35-45C rating and those batteries aren't puffing as quickly as the 20-25C rating batteries. I strongly suggest getting the highest C rating battery that you can afford (40C+). As for increased flight time, probably not, but the batteries will last longer and perform better. As for any cons to getting a higher C rating battery....I'd simply say that cost is probably the only con. They do generally cost a bit more. On my Align Trex 450 Pro DFC, I run 3S 2200mah 45C Turnigy NanoTechs. I have 4 of them and they have lasted me nearly 2 years. Yes, they come down slightly warmer than when they went up, but that's to be expected. It's when a battery comes down HOT.....that's when the concern comes in.

Best of luck buddy!!!

Tony

Staff member
As Derek stated, there are no cons on going with a higher C rating other than your bank account. They do cost a bit more but it's worth it since you don't have to replace them as often.

One thing to remember, the battery doesn't PUSH the power, the motor PULLS the power and the ESC REGULATES the power. Below is a video to try and explain this a little better.

Matching Motor, ESC, & Battery - YouTube

Thks Tony, your video is help me understand alot more and it will help me in the future when i start to build up a heli from scratch.

Smoggie

Higher C rating batteries tend to be a little heavier too, but not so much that you would really notice. For my helis I usually pick at least 40C batteries because helis are pretty hard on their batteries, but it depends how you fly, some folk get along fine with 25C.

murankar

Staff member
I wont beat a dead horse here on the packs you have. I have noticed that E-flight likes to use packs that are just barely enough to fly a heli. Personally, I would opt for some new packs that are rated at 35C and call it good. I even upgraded my 180 CFX batteries to Pulse 35C packs. You will find that once your in the hobby long enough and start understanding all this stuff that the C rating printed on the packs are not true C-Ratings. The Only reason I have 45C packs in my Goblin 570 is because the 35C packs were out of stock. If I was to do a c rating test on these 45C packs I would be lucky to get true c-ratings higher than 30C. Same with the 180 CFX packs, I would be surprised if they were higher than 27C.

As for puffy packs well that call is on you. I wouldn't fly them hard and I would keep an eye on them as you use them. If you notice they are getting bigger then stop using them. While charging them I would keep an even closer eye on them just in case. Oh and don't vent the packs if they do puff. That wont be a good day for you, unless you know whats going to happen if you do.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Oh and don't vent the packs if they do puff. That wont be a good day for you, unless you know whats going to happen if you do.[/QUOTE]

I hear Tony has so many vent stacks on his puffy batteries that it looks like a bunch of factories lined up on the bench while charging with all of them billowing smoke out them! :warning::secret2::shocked::chuckles:

Top Bottom