Batteries Lipo Batteries Explained

Tony

Staff member
Hello everyone, I made this video a while back, but had to redo it cause of some information that was on it. In this video, you will learn just about all you need to know about a battery. From the C rating, to the S rating to the MAH rating, and how it equates to amp draw that you can take out of it.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Updated Video

jaguarxj1

THANKS A LOT!!!! great vid,great explained,but still I have few questions - how to store li-po battery? for an example if I don't fly for a week or two etc. should i keep my battery charged ? what to do if after a month I will decide to go fly, should I charge it again before flight even if it was charged before? what that discharge function does on the charger and how to use it?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my english

Jag

Tony

Staff member
If you are going to go for more than a week, then you need to charge them for storage. When I say that, it means to charge them to 3.8 volts per cell. That is how they are shipped, and how they should be charged. Don't use the discharge function on these batteries unless you are trying to get them to the 3.8 point. Most chargers now days have a function for storage. So discharging will not be necessary. Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I will try to explain it in a different manner.

Peter Neal

Hi Tony, many thanks for the video.

Is there any problem using a battery that has a much higher amp rating than the ESC? My E-Razor 450 came with standard with a 40Amp ESC and a 2200mAh 20C 11.1V battery which equates 44 Amps.

Would there be an issue running a 3000mAh 35C 11.1V battery (105 Amps) apart from it being slightly bigger and heavier?

Thanks

Pete

Tony

Staff member
There is no issue at all with running a battery with a higher amp rating than the ESC. When picking a battery, you need to calculate the amp draw of the motor (Watts/Volts) and add 10. So if your motor is pulling 40 amps, you want a battery capable of at least 50 amps. I would also suggest the same for the ESC as well. There is no way you can run too high of an amp battery or ESC. Remember, the motor is pulling the power, the battery and ESC ARE NOT pushing it.

As for running a 3000mah battery in a 450, that thing is going to be very nose heavy. The biggest battery I would suggest is a 2650, and I wouldn't even run that. I have only run the 2200mah in my 450's.

Peter Neal

Thanks Tony, I hear you about the weight!

I watched your vid about matching motor, esc and battery and understood that a larger battery does not give you more power (faster) but does it give you a longer flight time?

Still trying to wrap my head around the electronic side of things.

Tony

Staff member
You are exactly right, it will give you more run time. The motor is what "makes" the power, the battery is what "supplies" the power. It's all pretty simple once you learn Ohms Law. It took me a while to grasp the concept but once I did, every thing just clicked. Kinda like flying a helicopter lol.

Tony

Staff member
Yes I did. Deans Ultra Plugs are the only thing I use. I don't like banana plugs or the x60 plugs from hobbyking. I have always been a Deans fan.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry tony but i couldn't find your video on lipo battery Life. Can you please tell me when it's a good time replace the old battery. I have lipo bag but i would like to prevent the battery from blowing up.
I would also like to say that I've been learning alot from the RC-help group since just leaning how to fly. Everyone keep up the good work! :)
D.O.G.

Tony

Staff member
Usually when a pack is on it's last leg, it will start to puff. Once that happens, keep an eye on it or just completely discharge it and toss it in the trash. Puffed lipo packs can catch fire or vent at any time.

PaulRC

Usually when a pack is on it's last leg, it will start to puff. Once that happens, keep an eye on it or just completely discharge it and toss it in the trash. Puffed lipo packs can catch fire or vent at any time.

while were on the subject on lipo's being on their last leg. How do you dispose of your lipos Tony? Do you use the salt water method? If so how much salt per 1 litre of water? Minimum 4 days soaking right?? thank you

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks PaulRC, I really didn't know how to dispose batteries. I was just going to take them to Lowes. they have lipo batteries disposal i've heard. Still that is good info to know.

Tony

Staff member
I have no clue about liters, but I suggest a cup per gallon. However, you can just hook up a light bulb to the battery and virtually dead short them. Once they are drained all the way, just twist the wires together so it stays shorted and can't put a residual charge back in them, and toss them in the trash. LIPo's are one of the few batteries that you can toss in the trash from what I have read. But they need to be discharged. The saltwater method is not required. a 12v light from a car will do the same thing and doesnt' take near as long.

PaulRC

Thanks PaulRC, I really didn't know how to dispose batteries. I was just going to take them to Lowes. they have lipo batteries disposal i've heard. Still that is good info to know.

yeah i think we added another video for Tony's list. How to dispose of lipos :D:D:D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i need to dispose of a battery sitting on my cement patio right now.. no clue how to discharge it safely.. may be through my charger.

PaulRC

tony says to use a car head light. I'm going to try that next month

- - - Updated - - -

i need to dispose of a battery sitting on my cement patio right now.. no clue how to discharge it safely.. may be through my charger.

gaba i found something http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOSAL-OF-LIPO-BATTERIES.pdf

Top Bottom