General Let's talk head speeds

trainrider06

I gotta wait to get home and look on computer, I can't download the zip on my phone for some reason. I'd like to compair the readings to this app on my phone that gave me mine.

I bought the hobbywing 50amp V3 but not the programming module. Is there software i can install on my laptop to configure it? If not, do i NEED ths prgramming module

trainrider06

You'll need it! It comes with the USB cable to program it from the software, and it's great for adjusting at the field also!
You can save your settings to your computer also. I think they may sell just the USB cable separately also. But it's handy to use at the field also, plus it has a battery checker on it too! :)

Smoggie

There is software available but you need either the programming box or the Bluetooth wireless interface gizmo to enable the ESC to connect to your computer. The V3 ESC can be stick programmed though it's a lot easier if you have the box.

The default settings are configured for helis and have governor enabled, so they work ok. All you have to do to calibrate the governor is let the heli spool up at zero pitch using a flat throttle curve and when the RPM gets to full speed and stabilises, the governor sets itself.. it's very simple.

If you have the program box you can set the governor to 'Gov Store' which memorises the settings on first spoolup so that you only have to do the calibration routine once.

There is software available but you need either the programming box or the Bluetooth wireless interface gizmo to enable the ESC to connect to your computer. The V3 ESC can be stick programmed though it's a lot easier if you have the box.

The default settings are configured for helis and have governor enabled, so they work ok. All you have to do to calibrate the governor is let the heli spool up at zero pitch using a flat throttle curve and when the RPM gets to full speed and stabilises, the governor sets itself.. it's very simple.

If you have the program box you can set the governor to 'Gov Store' which memorises the settings on first spoolup so that you only have to do the calibration routine once.
This is good to know. Damn, why would this guy sell me the esc and not offer the programmable box?? I had no idea it existed until I got home and read the manual.

trainrider06

Just get on Hobby Wing USA site, it'll ship pretty quick!
I think in the manual it tells how to use your radio to program it also, but I've always found that confusing.....don't forget to set your throttle end points before you setup gov too!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Just get on Hobby Wing USA site, it'll ship pretty quick!
I think in the manual it tells how to use your radio to program it also, but I've always found that confusing.....don't forget to set your throttle end points before you setup gov too!

If you have a HeliNation card you can get a discount on the programming box.

Smoggie

You can get 15% discount on most items just by using the 'RCHELINATION' discount code at checkout.

I installed the HW 50a V3 and I'm definately going to need the programming box. The RPM is reading better but the soft start is about a 10 second delay. Also, after it spools up at full throttle, it starts dropping off. The RPM just starts fluctuating.

Smoggie

The soft start is fixed duration on the 50A V3, you cant adjust it. I have one on my Chase 360 and the soft start I consider to be perfect, one of the best around. Sure it takes several seconds to get up to speed but that's how a soft start is meant to work..

As for the RPM fluctuating. What % throttle curve are you using? If using governor you cant use more than about 85% or so (and it must me a 'flat curve'). Any higher % doesnt leave enough overhead to govern. It's normal when in the default 'ELF' governor mode that the RPM will dip ever so slightly as the governor sets, but after that assuming your throttle curve is ok it should be stable. If you set the ESC to 'Gov Store' you dont get the slight dip because it remembers the settings and doesnt have to calibrate on each startup.

Maybe if you posted a video of what it's doing it could be better diagnosed.

trainrider06

I just checked out that head speed calculator and it seems pretty close to the head speeds Tony had suggested I run on mine. Handy little tool!

Smoggie

Thanks for the feedback Rodney. I hope it will be some use even if all it does is give someone a headspeed to set up on the first flight. From there adjust to personal taste.

The soft start is fixed duration on the 50A V3, you cant adjust it. I have one on my Chase 360 and the soft start I consider to be perfect, one of the best around. Sure it takes several seconds to get up to speed but that's how a soft start is meant to work..

As for the RPM fluctuating. What % throttle curve are you using? If using governor you cant use more than about 85% or so (and it must me a 'flat curve'). Any higher % doesnt leave enough overhead to govern. It's normal when in the default 'ELF' governor mode that the RPM will dip ever so slightly as the governor sets, but after that assuming your throttle curve is ok it should be stable. If you set the ESC to 'Gov Store' you dont get the slight dip because it remembers the settings and doesnt have to calibrate on each startup.

Maybe if you posted a video of what it's doing it could be better diagnosed.

Yea, I'm not used to this "soft" of a start.

I'm going by the local Hobby shop to see if they have the programming box, I definitley need that. Throttle curves were set at a Flat 45 for Stunt 1 and 85 for Stunt 2

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked out that head speed calculator and it seems pretty close to the head speeds Tony had suggested I run on mine. Handy little tool!
What was that app called?

trainrider06

Did you just plug it all up and go at it without even doing the setup by sticks and beeps? That may be the problem because one of the default settings is Gov ELF, whatever that is. Think Steve said something about it.
I think 45 is way too low on the throttle curve. Far as I was told you don't wanna go below 60-65.
Once you get program box you'll see how easy it is to set up and program. I believe HW even has a video on how to do it.
If it is the head speed app you are talking about its "heliTach" but that is for the IPhone (Tony's favorite phone) hehe...
It may be available for others too. It's pretty accurate so far as I can see....

trainrider06

Thanks for the feedback Rodney. I hope it will be some use even if all it does is give someone a headspeed to set up on the first flight. From there adjust to personal taste.

Welcome! I like the simplicity of it! Simple is better for my pea brain! :)

Smoggie

What Rodney said.. 45% is far too low to govern on the HW ESC, that might explain why you had issues. About 65% is as low as you would ever want to go. 'Gov ELF' actually works ok, all you have to do is allow enough time for the RPM to stabilise before lifting off (but 'Gov store' is better).

FWIW the Castle ESC governor works in a different way which is unique to castle (30% 70% and 100%).. You cant use those values in the HW or most other ESCs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom