General Let's talk head speeds

Smoggie

Make sure it's connected to the ESC programming port using the supplied lead (you cant connect through the throttle lead like most ESC's) If you still have issues update the programming box to latest firmware from HobbywingDirect web site.

Smoggie

Default settings are generally fine but change governor type to 'Gov Store'. If you are using HV servos you can increase BEC voltage to 8V, for standard servos 6V is good.

Default settings are generally fine but change governor type to 'Gov Store'. If you are using HV servos you can increase BEC voltage to 8V, for standard servos 6V is good.

I was reading a bit on the Gov Elf and Gov Store modes.

Also, I'm running the KST DS215mg servos, looks like they can run 7.4 but I'll just stick with what you suggested. That's fast enough for me.

trainrider06

You'll see the astrik I think in the upper left side of the screen for the default settings on the ESC. I generally run my heli's on the recommended settings, except for gov store. You should probably at first set it to no gov, then do throttle end points using linear curve. After that go back program gov store, close out the program, set throttle curve to 50% flat, all the way across. Turn radio back on switch on Throttle hold, put stick to center position, then flick off TH. Let it sit there and run for about 20 seconds. Hit throttle hold, shut down everything, then go to a flat 65 or 70 throttle curve flick off TH and see how she does.

Smoggie

^^^ What Rodney said. Only thing i do any different is that I do to do my throttle range calibration in Gov mode. it works just the same that way and avoids having to change programming.

If they are HV servos (7.4V) then you can safely run them at 8V because they are designed to run off a 2S LiPo, but by all means set them to 7.4V if you are more comfortable with that. No point is having high performance HV servos and running them at 6V!

My endpoints should be okay, I set them up through the Brain. I disabled the gov as suggested and it spooled up right away. I'll have to curb this one until I get the parts I'm waiting on but I have another X3. I'll be curious to see how he has it setup.

How would you set up the throttle range in gov mode? There aren't too many videos showing this which sucks. I'm new to governors so this is a pretty big learning curve.

trainrider06

A flat curve if your running gov, linear without.
Flat something like 65 70 flat idol 0, 75 80 idol 1, and 85 90 idol 2
I always try and keep about 10 between each throttle increase.
You don't want a large increase between any switch selection or you could have a severe tail kick.

Smoggie

My endpoints should be okay,

With the Hobbywing the ESC has to be calibrated to suit your Tx (unlike the Castle where you asjust the Tx to suit the ESC)

The procedure for this calibration is in the instructions but basically:

1. Start with everthing turned off, those of nervous disposition might choose to remove blades (though the motor should not start)
  2. Turn on Tx, set a linear 0-100 throttle curve and fully open the throttle (throttle hold must be released)
  3. Plug in heli battery
  4. Listen for a double beep, when you hear the double beep fully close the throttle
  5. ESC will give normal arming tone
  6. Calibration is complete

Now re set your throttle curve to what you need for flying and you are ready to go.

With the Hobbywing the ESC has to be calibrated to suit your Tx (unlike the Castle where you asjust the Tx to suit the ESC)

The procedure for this calibration is in the instructions but basically:

1. Start with everthing turned off, those of nervous disposition might choose to remove blades (though the motor should not start)
  2. Turn on Tx, set a linear 0-100 throttle curve and fully open the throttle (throttle hold must be released)
  3. Plug in heli battery
  4. Listen for a double beep, when you hear the double beep fully close the throttle
  5. ESC will give normal arming tone
  6. Calibration is complete

Now re set your throttle curve to what you need for flying and you are ready to go.

Much appreciated!! I did that but will do it again.

After you setup the parameters in the HW, what needs to be config'd in the TX for gov mode? Do I set the RPM's through the Brain software?

Smoggie

You dont need to do anything in the Tx or the Brain other than set your flat throttle curves.

When running 'Gov Store' the recommendation is to do the first spoolup with a flat 50% throttle curve, allow the governor to calibrate itself as previously discussed. Now power down and set your desired throttle curves for flight (65% to 85% range is recommended) and that's you done.. go fly.

Top Bottom