Let The Kds Build Begin :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well, PayPal and Banggood are still at a stale mate with this helicopter. It can take up to 90 days to resolve. So like Tony said, The hell with it and go ahead build that heli. So i'm going to. IMG_0142.JPG I took everything out of the box and spread the parts out. On the far left is the FB unit i'm not going to use. The DFC head I'm going to use a Tarot and it's in the front of the frame. I'm not to thrill about using the white main and auto gear. Probably use the black main and auto from my other 450. I'm going to start, maybe tonight, disassemble the frame and make sure ever bolt has lok-tight on it. Probably not! So let the build begin :). More pics as I go.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I started to move on. I went ahead and took of the electronics off the Tarot 450. I put both KDS and Tarot frame side by side to see what's the difference is. IMG_0146.JPG The frames are about the same size. The KDS has kind of a round design to it vs the tarot being more square cut. My opinion the KDS is lighter...not by much. From the top view IMG_0147.JPG the Tarot metal bearing holder seem solid compare to the KDS. KDS looks like lighter material made. The Tarot main bearing seem sealed better then the KDS. The tail boom holder on the KDS is two metal brackets vs the solid plastic tail boom holder on the Tarot. One more view, the bottom. IMG_0148.JPG Not much here beside the Tarot has a mostly a close bottom vs the open bottom of the KDS. Well you make the call. I'm liking the KDS because of the different style and lighter frame I think. Next is removing screws from both side of the frame, Of course one side at a time Lol and add lock tite. Clean up and check the electronics will follow. I already found a loose plug on the motor to the esc. Oh yeah. I weight the two frames and the KDS was 130.4 gs and the Tarot 115.0 gs. More to come :).

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Moving alone. I got both side of the frame screws lock-tited in. Next I decided to attach the tail assembly to the boom. The Tarot tail assembly is a lot smaller and just better built IMG_0149.JPG I went ahead and used the KDS tail assembly instead of the Tarot. The align tail boom is smaller then the KDS but the KDS boom is lighter IMG_0151.JPG. Then I went ahead and installed the Tarot DFC head with the KDS main/rotation gears IMG_0154.JPG I'm not sure which way to go now. Take the slanted motor pinion gear off and put a straight one on or use my slanted main gear instead of the straight main gear. Good time to stop and think about this lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Getting a little closer IMG_0162.JPG . I finished cleaning up and greased my Tarot DFC head and installed it with the main gear, belt and tail assembly. After that I cleaned up and greased up my 4 KST 215mg servos and installed them. I went ahead and installed my Align dominator BL 460 MX 3s motor. In the KDS frame, I was able to mount my HobbyWing 50a esc underneath the battery tray in the top front. I couldn't do that on the Tarot frame. You can't see the esc but I can remove the battery tray in order to plug in my usb port in the esc. The build is gone well so far. There's no thread lock on the frame bolts, I new that but they did have thread lock on the tail assembly. Of course no grease lol. Next should be my main and tail blades installed with the tail slider rod plus my AR7200BX FBL. This weekend I should have it done and hopefully ready for a test flight in my back yard :banana:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Admiral. Well I'm trying figure out how this canopy goes on LMAO! If I connect this canopy using the tab to hold it place. Where at this time my canopy holder on top too faraway IMG_0164.JPG but if I want to use the canopy holder on top, I have to detach the landing skid so the canopy fits IMG_0163.JPG It can be fixed but what a joke. Now a days it seem like no one puts pride into there work anymore...it seems :(.

Admiral

That does not look like an Innova canopy to me, they are much shorter in the front, you would have to do a major trim job on that one to make it fit.

innova canopy.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah. That doesn't look at all like the canopy that came with my kit. I don't know but I'm not really happy with this built. I'm not sure if I'm mad at Banggood or KDS or both. With the extra money I could of spend, I should of got another Tarot or an Align. Will see how she fly's but so far I'm not a happy camper :).

Admiral

I don't think I would be happy either, did it come in a KDS box showing the model should be a 450SD or BD or QS, although I have a copy of the 450 SD/BD/FBL manual and the picture on the front shows a Fly-barred Model go figure. The frame looks like it is the correct frame, the non FBL head is defiantly not what you paid for and the Canopy looks wrong. I think I would contact KDS USA and tell them your story you may get the incorrect parts replaced at least.

INNOVA 450 KIT

They will probably denigh everything because you bought it elsewhere but it's worth a try

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
You know what Keith, I can't remember if it came in a KDS box. Damn old age Lol. No I haven't tried contacting KDS. Like you mention, They will probably denigh everything because you bought it elsewhere. PayPal is still trying to get it worked out. I'll just deal with it and chalk it up to lesson learn. This is the second time Banggood screwed me without a kiss Lol. No more!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I finally made a video of this "So called" KDS 450. I had nothing but problems with this build from day one from wrong kit to cutting the canopy to make it fit on the frame. I got the chance to use up one battery before the damn heli started making a grinding noise. This will be the last 450 I will own. I'm going sell everything that pertains to 450 helis. The smallest I'm going to fly now is my X3l. Anyway here's the KDS 450 in action.

Admiral

Well it appeared to fly OK prior to the grinding noise, but I certainly think that you did not get what you paid for, there was something very fishy about that whole deal. I agree with the no more 450's I have almost done that except for a couple in scale bodies. Other than that the smallest I fly regularly is the Gaui X3's or the KDS Chase 360 which are all 6S powered and fly sweet. The Coast Guard has an old KDS 450 in it which is really a clone of the Align 450S I may convert that to 6S so that I don't have to buy anymore 3S batteries. At the moment I'm looking for a Gaui 4II frame that I can transplant the Align 500 electrics into, parts are almost impossible to get in Australia for any Align older than the 450L or 500X recently had to get a 500 main shaft from New Zealand because there was no stock in Australia that I could find.

Let us know what the grinding noise was when you find out.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well Admiral, your right about something fishy going on here since day one. Can you believe this case is still open LMAO. I think I found out was the grinding noise. Tony mention awhile back that the whit gears are alot louder then the black gears. All my gears are white. I'll deal with it for the time being til I crash...and I know I will :). Then I'll change everything around. I'll use the parts from this KDS, Tarot and Align 450 to make a decent 450. I'll call it the heli DOG bark together Lol. Anyway here's another flight of the 450 from the other day.

Tony

Staff member
The straight gears are louder, but not loud enough to sound like grinding. The other issue with the straight cut gears is how out of round they are and with the teeth being so small, gear mesh checking on every cog of the motor is critical. It's possible that you have a tight spot in your gear mesh, that can sound like grinding. Easy to check though.

Be sure to check all other gears as well. I think you said it is a belt tail (too busy right now to read back through the thread) so the tail drive gear would be my other check.

Top Bottom