Motors Kv Is Rpm/volt | Nothing Else

Tony

Staff member
I have received a ton of questions to various videos that look something like this...

YouTube Comment said:
Can a single 30a esc b used with 2 1000kv motors and how much voltage this esc needs to run one r two motors

Yes, this is an actual comment on one of the videos.

I want to make things perfectly clear for future comments, and hopefully help some people in the process. KV is a very simple term. The K equals RPM or Revolutions Per Minute. V equals volts. So if you have a 1000kv motor and you give it one volt, it will spin 1000 rpm. If you have a 2500kv motor and you supply 2 volts, it will spin 5000 rpm. You take the KV rating of the motor and you multiply it by the voltage that you are going to apply to it. I always use the peak charge voltage as my base since it is the largest and thus the fastest.

In no way can I tell you what ESC to use with a motor by the KV rating. In no way can I tell you what battery to use with a motor by the KV rating. It IS physically impossible!

In order for me to calculate what ESC and Battery to use with a motor, I need to know the voltage you are going to run the motor at, what voltage the motor is rated for (yes, I have had people wanting to put a 6s battery on a 3s motor). With the voltage or the motor and the wattage of the motor, I or anyone else can calculate the amperage (Watts divided by volts equals amps) and give you suggestions on what to run.

I created this thread so that I can link to it for future comments of this nature. In summery, KV is RPM/Volt. In order to tell you what ESC or battery to use, I need to know the voltage rating and the wattage of the motor, and these need to be PEAK ratings for the wattage.

Top Bottom