Kitchen table

treff

Kitchen Table.jpg

The ASK18 taking on a large size on the kitchen table. I began this model some years ago and because of ill health and other things put it to one side. I have now decided ti finish it. I do build in a workshop and placed here for artistic licence lol. The wings are built awaiting servos and covering. The fuz is almost there although there as been a bit of warping with time but you will not see this at a few thousand feet in the air LOL. I think I will have to take a mortgage out on the covering material which will be iron on solartex or something simular. I will probably end up selling it like I have with most of my big sailplanes to get more cash for heli spare LOL. Wingspan bye the way is in the region of 15 feet so quite a handful to launch off the slope. Cheers

Kitchen Table.jpg

stokke

That looks like a tedious project - fine craftsmanship, but tedious :) Did you glue all those pieces together?

treff

That looks like a tedious project - fine craftsmanship, but tedious :) Did you glue all those pieces together?

Cheers stokke. Yes old fashion building. If you think the fuz is tediuos the wings will blow your mind with nearly 70 ribs in each wing. Now that is tedious. If your a purist then each rid is copies from the plan, cut and sanded to shape then glued to the main spare. A long, long job but satisfying if your that way inclined. You have to love the old wood sailplanes..........................................................................and of course be a little mad..........................................................................................................................................................................................just like helicopters.................................................you build em, fly em, crash em then do the same again. When you are getting used to one type of heli, what do you do, move on to something else. Build em, fly, em, crash em............................................................I could go on..................................Its great fun just do not weaken.
Ha! here's the big white van. Men in white coats. It's time..............

Lee

Looks great Treff. I'm thinking my first foot into Gliders will be a DLG just for throwing around the football field.

treff

Looks great Treff. I'm thinking my first foot into Gliders will be a DLG just for throwing around the football field.

Yes DLG is great fun but hard on the arms LOL. It does however build up a mighty thirst, just right for the pub. LOL. I prefer slope soaring only because there are lots of hills and very good slopes around where I live and of course it is a past time more in keeping with a gentleman of refined taste not to mention to many revolutions on the gauge.

Lee

Wales is a mecca for slope soaring. I use to spend a lot of time there when i was a demo pilot for Paragliders and doing the British pargliding championships.

treff

We used to run into the paragliders quite often. Working the same ridges. My mate Dave built one but it was not CAA approved. It had a rigid wing and it was either French or from the USA. Anyway we had great times with that jumping off the local mountain and gliding down into the valley almost killed a few sheep LOL. We always had ago after the pub, never had the nerve before a pint lol. The bloody thing was very prone to tip stalling which it did without warning. One time I got stuck up a tree and the damn wing got itself impaled on a branch and my trousers were almost torn from me backside. The Wright brothers never had that much fun. It was sold on in the end to a Royal airforce member and he somehow put a motor on it. I think it was intended to be motorized, anyway Dave sold it on before we both killed outselves. Cheers

Top Bottom