Just An Update

Tony

Staff member
I know you guys would like me to create more videos, do more flying and so on and that is why I'm making this post. I have been so unbelievably busy here lately that on my days off, I'm not getting any sleep just to keep up with the house and the cars. Last weekend I had a little time and we had family come over and we had a little party.

This coming weekend I have to take my truck to the shop to have a shaft replaced, work on my trailer, mow my yard again, try to find the small knock in the rear of my camaro and much more. I don't think it's ever going to end honestly. There is something about working nights that keeps you from doing anything you really want to do and it sure doesn't help with the time. If I was working 1400-2200 I could get more done, but I"m not, i'm stuck avoiding the sun lol.

I have been thinking though. I do have a truck now, and unlike my Camaro, I can put a 4'x4' table in the back along with all of my camera gear and bring it here to the base. I will not be able to do any flight videos, but I may be able to finish most of the DX8 videos (yes, I still own it). It's just a matter of finding a quiet enough night here at the base.

But I just wanted to make a quick post about what I have been up to here lately. I do get on here every night, I do read every post even though I may not reply to it and I do reply to those that I feel I can help out with. We have such a great bunch of people here that know what they are talking about, I'm almost not needed lol.

I hope all of you are going out there and pounding the ground or hitting the air quite often. The season is almost at an end here in the northern hemisphere so get your fun in while you can. Who knows, I may find a way to get back into it sometime next year. I hope anyway.

hal9000

OK I know you like Spectrum for some people the only way they can afford to get in to RC flying is to pickup something like the Turnigy 9x. Would you consider doing a feature comparison from Tony's POV.

I personally have both a DX6i and a 9x. I was able to get Buddy Boxed (9x Trainer, DX6i Student), but only after flashing to the Er9x software. Actually I never bothered with the stock firmware and went straight to Er9x. I found out how difficult the stock formware was when another club member bought his over and after spending 2 min trying to workout how to buddy box his 2 9xs I flashed his primary one and we were done in 10 min.

So I guess what I am saying is that this maybe an opportunity to show people tips and trick on other transmitters. I am making a bit of a presumption that you have access to other transmitters.

Perhaps some talks and drawing about solving common issues such as tail heavy or nose heavy planes? How to workout centre of gravity? How to balance props, blades etc etc. I guess what I am saying is stuff that newbies will or have struck and have no idea on how to resolve ourselves.

Tony

Staff member
I would love to do a 9x video series and also compare it to the Spektrum Tx's as well. However with limited money the only way I could do it is if someone is willing to live without their Tx for a month or more while I probe it. A while back I was thinking about creating a full 9x video series but that is when I realized you get what you pay for and went with the DX8. In all honesty, I don't know if I can be partial with the 9x since it's a China made POS IMO and is the reason you have to reflash it just to be able to use it and to make it more user friendly. My DX8 is the most user friendly Tx I have ever had in my hand. But I will see what I can do.

Tail and nose heavy would be an issue with teh limited space I have here in my office. My smallest plane has a 40" wing and my trainer (that I would want to use) has a 48" wing. Things would get very tight in here and it would be hard, but again, I will see what I can do. And for the other things, those are some great suggestions and I will see what I can do to get those going.

hal9000

While I agree that you get what you pay for, here in New Zealand for the price of one DX8 I can land at least 8 9xs.

We tend to suffer in New Zealand for mysterious price discrepancies. If you take a straight conversion from the average price for a DX8 obtainable in the US to what is typical in NZ we end up paying a $NZD150-200 premium on the same thing. Which is why we tend to also have a "number 8 wire" attitude to tinkering and modifying with things. Did you ever see "The Worlds Fastest Indian"? (In this context an Indian was a motorbike, not a native American). That is fairly typical of the average Kiwi bloke!

I was throwing ideas in off the top of my head, mostly issues I have struck. Hope things work out for you.

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen that movie, but I do know about the indian motorcycle you are talking about. Great bike IMO. And I understand where you are coming from.

Top Bottom