It's Here :).

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:party: I've been wanting for a lone time now a real size heli :boldblue: I have a 450 heli that spin 325mm blades. I have a 500 heli that spins 425mm blades. I wanted a 6s big heli that actually the size it saids it is :waa:I have a BD coming up soon so the wife got me an early present :chickendance:IMG_0761.JPG I still have to get the servos, KST and a esc, HW 120a for it but that's fine. IMG_0765.JPG It's the XL Power 550 electric heli kit with main blades,tail blades and 4020 motor from A Main Hobbies.:thankyou:

Last edited:

Smoggie

Very nice. I had one of the very first XLPower kits which i got given for trial/evaluation almost 3 years ago. It was the 520 which is basically the same heli as the 550.

Great heli! It's a 'no fuss' simple design, all very straightforward and conventional but all the better for it. It's very light so you can run lower headspeed and still get great performance, but with long flight time.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Keith and Steve :). I can't wait to start building her. I'm waiting on the KST servo to be back in stock and the HW120a, I should have it by the end of the week. I have 2 FBL units to choose from. First I have a beastX that I purchased from Tony :) and the other is an AR7300BX. One will go on the XL Power heli 550 and the other will go on the 500.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm getting ready to ordered the servos and esc for this kit soon. As I'm going through the sites, I've notice 3 different companies that carry this heli has 3 different setups :banghead: I'm ordering for servos, KST BLS 915 V2.0 for the cyclic and KST BLS 905X for the tail. First is XL Power heli site saids to use 120A esc and 6S Li-Po 3000 ~ 5200mAh Recommend: 5200mAh. Second is AMain Hobbies site saids to use 100A + esc and 6S Lipo battery, 4000-5000mAh. Last is HeliDirect and there site saids to use ESC (80A Minimum Recommended) and 6S Li-Po 3000 ~ 5200mAh. With 3 companies with 3 different opinions...which way should I go? :facepalm: I have an idea which way to go but I would like to here your opinion :eagerness:

leedude1

Dog I'm going to chime in on this one..
I got my 570 build I just picked up and was doing excatly what you are..thinking about what to put in it . They are roughly the same size. So here is my recipe so to speak.

FBL = Ar7210BX
ESC = Castle Creations Talon 120 HV with 20 A BEC
SERVOS = 3X KST-BLS915V2
Tail servo = TORQ BLS0704T Full Size HV Brushless Rudder Servo
Motor = Scorpion 4025-1100

Looking to Run it 6s 5000 or 5500.

Have fun my man with your build.

Smoggie

Those cyclic servos wont work because the XLPower takes mini size cyclics. In the KST range DS589MG, X15-1208 or MS565 are all options. I put GDW servos on mine, GDW DS595MG which are great servos.

I flew my 520 with batteries in the range 3700 to 5000mAh. I'd recommend 4500-5200mAh but make sure that the battery height clears the pinion (most will).

ESC for the 550 I'd say go for a 120A. The Align RCE-BL100A (off the Trex 550X) is ok too because under the skin it's a Hobbywing 120A V4

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Smoggie. I'll get the KST MS565 for the cyclic and the KST DS525 for the tail intead. That's funny because I seen a you tube video with a gentlemen that had KST BLS 519 V2.0 on his XLPower 550...so he mention. I trust your facts/input before some mo-mo on you tube :). I did ordered the Hobbywing 120A V4 esc, 5000mAh batteries too. So I only need to order the servo, from ALoft Hobbies and should be ready for my build. I can't wait :).

Smoggie

Definitely mini size cyclic. i just checked and the spec still says mini, so it's not changed since I had mine. For the tail you can fit either mini or standard size, so you could stick with the 805X if you preferred. Most people do seem to use a full size on the tail though i used a mini and it was fine for me.

leedude1

Good thing smoggie caught that, you had mentioned you were ordering the 915s .

Hey smoggie, the Xl are they lighter birds in general? I know it's also component dependant but if they are calling for mini for a 550 size that implies overall lighter or no real difference?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Definitely mini size cyclic. i just checked and the spec still says mini, so it's not changed since I had mine. For the tail you can fit either mini or standard size, so you could stick with the 805X if you preferred. Most people do seem to use a full size on the tail though i used a mini and it was fine for me.

OK...before placing my order Smoggie, I'm going with the KST MS565 for cyclic. Since the mini servo worked fine for you, I'm going with the KST 525MG for the tail then. Will this combination of servos and the hobbywing 120A esc work fine for that XL550?

Smoggie

Yes, the HW120A will be fine.

I'm confused on the servos. the MS565 is a 760us tail servo, so not suitable for cyclic. The DS565MG would be fine for the tail but it's a standard size servo, not a mini.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Here's some options from the KST range:

Option 1 (standard range)
Cyclics: DS589MG (Mini)
Tail: DS525MG / BLS805x / BLS905X (full size) or DS565X (Mini)

Option 2 (Contactless range)
Cyclics: MS589 (Mini)
Tail: MS805 / MS1035 (both full size), or MS565 / MS665 (both Mini)

Option 3 (X series)
Cyclics: X15-908 or X15-1208 (Mini)
Tail: X20-1035 (full size) or X15-775X (Mini)

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry about that. It's my old age. I mean onething and say another or vica-versa. I'm going with the second choice. 589 cyclics, 565 tail :hdbng:

Top Bottom