FBL Gyro It was never the 3Gx

Danie Dup

Thanks to all who assisted me with advice while converting my 450kds to flybarless with a 3gx unit with v5 software.

Anyway as this was my first conversion, I took lots of time making sure the mechanical set-up was as close to perfect as it could possibly be (or at least I thought so) before attempting to set up the 3gx unit. Once again thanks to Tony's excellent video range I was able to set up the unit rather easily.
On my first hover all seemed quite good except the tail had a kickback when turning the nose hard left. Subsequently I started tweaking the software and it seemed to get better then suddenly worse. My heli even developed a head wobble. For the next day or so it was continued asking for help, adjusting gains and test hovers. Like so many others, I was eventually convinced that the trouble had to be with the 3Gx unit and was ready to chuck it in the bin. I even started searching the web for better alternatives.
I decided to give the 3gx one more go and started by going through the heli's tail with a fine tooth comb. I found that the new tail slider I installed had an intermittent bind on the shaft. It was difficult to spot as it would slide smoothly whenever I tested it. A little bit of grease and problem sorted. Suddenly the heli behaved beautifully on hover and the tail was locked in with now wag or kick back. Even the head wobbles were gone.

I took the heli to the field today and it behaved beautifully. I must add that I didn't do any hard flying or 3D for that matter.

I have learned a valuable lesson in that most issues on a heli can be traced back to some sort of mechanical problem. Had my heli been 100% mechanically, the 3gx would have almost been a "plug and play" with only the radio's end point settings needing input.

Admiral

The poor old 3GXs they have such a bad reputation that the moment something starts to go wrong they are the first place you look, I've done it myself.

murankar

Staff member
Unfortunately that's the reality with that gyro. Normally that's the issue but lately it has turned around.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Great find. I know I have gotten the 3GX working quite well, and I'm sure I can get it working quite well on any helicopter. But I as well have started thinking about going another way.

I'm glad that you found the bind. It makes sense. Locks up when you turn the tail one way but not the other, holding the tail past where it should go and it has to kick back. Again, great find. Now, post up some video! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom