is my kds gyro shot?

itonkatom1

Hey all'
I hope im in the right spot or forum for some help... I recently had a head in crash with my KDS 450. After replacing all the servos with the broken gears (and new tail boom), I tried to take her back up again. Well now My Kds 700 gyro is acting so strange. The tail servo works great and centers fine at no throttle. The servo even moves to compinsate for moving the helicopter around while in idle. Then when i spool up all is as expected until i hit about 70% throttle (right before lift-off) the gyro slamms the sero into far left or far right (which ever was the last slight ajustment i gave the rudder stick at lift off)! Then of course it goes into a violent tail spin. Ive tried all sort of ajustments with the gain to no avail. I even tried going back to a anlog servo (yes i flipped digital off) with the same result. Here comes the really strange part... when i unplug the motor and then spool the throttle up and the rudder servo acts as it should with right and left input. Has my gyro just bit the dust caused by my head in crash? Or is there a ajustment or anything i could try to test to see if its a complete failure? I even tried unhooking the gyro and went with straight plug in of the tail servo into reciever, and the servo responded to my stick inputs as expected but of course I couldnt fly it very well as I am just a rookie. I love this site and tell all my friends with rcs. I thank you all for your input in advance.

Tommy (itonkatom1)

Tony

Staff member
Hey Tommy. This is a question that's going to be quite hard to nail without actually being there with the heli, so it may take a while.

First, you need to make sure all of the plugs are in the Rx really well and nothing is loose. It sounds like once the vibration starts getting pretty bad (all heli's have a harmonic to them, it's normal). If everything is plugged in and tight and it's still doing it, then I would check the solder joints in the Rx and inside the gyro. If you are a novice with a soldering iron, I probably wouldn't do this. You can solder two ports together and trash everything.

the best way to test this is to just purchased a new gyro. Worst case is you have a backup gyro. But, I'm afraid your assumptions are correct, I think your gyro has been jarred a little too hard. They are afterall a very sensitive piece of electronics. But check the plugs first, if everything is fine, order a new gyro since there is not much you can really do to fix a botched gyro.

itonkatom1

Thanks guys i think the 190* twisted belt (tail blades spin in right direction) may be the only answer that could fix the problem without replacement. I will try it right now and let you know. When i reas your suggestion it was like a bell went off in my head That could surelly be it i thought. lol lets see and hope that Tonys fears as well as mine arent real. lol But gyro is on way from Hobby King as we type. Brb with result.

Lee

Have you accidentally reversed your gyro. If you make an input the heli will start to spin but when you stop telling it to turn, the gyro should stop it. But you said yours just spins faster in the direction you told it to go. i would check your gyro direction as well.

itonkatom1

an GA-410 Tail Lock Gyro
is the gyro i got from hobby king Tony. And the winner is.....Lee. Thank you very much Lee with your input, it was that the gyro had been reversed somehow when I moved back to anolog. I could of swore I checked that I didnt reverse it but I guess not. It great people like you all that just takes a minute of your time to help us frustrated rookies that wants us to keep trying to get the birds in the air. Thanks again all. I did notice that my esc has been getting warmer than usual. Is that normal for a often used system? My batteries are getting a little more warm (but still not hot) then they usally are. Is that a tell tail sign of something amiss?

Top Bottom