Introducing Myself

Tripod

Hello I'm Tripod from Eastern Oregon Still pretty new to Heli's, only a couple years now after winning a v911 in a raffle. Since then I fly a 250 size Esky MD500D scale And I am about a month away from a maiden flight of a Chaos 450 Black Widow pro in a MD500D scale fuselage in USCG livery. It has been alot of reading and asking questions and watching YouTube videos. And that's one of the reasons i'm here.... I just want to say thank you to everyone in this great hobby who has ever answered a question asked by a complete newby such as myself. Without you all I would still be just a regular guy, Not the cool totally addicted heli addict I am today. I absolutely love this hobby!! I hope to get to know as many of you as I can cause fellow RC addicts are the best people on the Planet! See ya later,:biggrin1:

holtneil

Hi Mate welcome to the Forum ,A 250 is one of the hardest helis to fly never had a 250 scale heli how did you reduce the head speed for a scale heli , the 450 sound great, by the way photos and videos are a must , I have a scale Cobra its started as a 500 pro but its now about a 550 size , it was a long job getting the head speed down I did it by fitting a 1000kv motor ( 1600kv its comes with for 3D) then changed to the old main gear and pinion so I geared up to the 1700 head speed was easier than coming down, any way please post video here is mine
Cobra 500 short flight zoomed in a little on camera - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Tripod

You know until I built the 450, I had no idea head speed was an issue. So on the 250 size it was just dumb luck because the Esky 500 RTF is a brushed motor so the head speed is 750 rpm. And they are electric tail rotor helis. And that's a good thing for a nubby I have yet to have had to replace a tail rotor motor. But frame's are a different story I lost count after 6 The good news is they are the same frame as the Honey Bee V2 So they are easy to find and usually in stock for around 3 dollars. I Also find it necessary to buy the blades from Micro Heli because they are 240 mm super smooth and always within 1 or 2 grains on weight. For 14 dollars I haven't found a better deal. Normally a 250 size uses 205 mm blades. They don't work not enough head speed and anything longer is to much torque for the tail motor to keep up with. I tried upping the tail rotor to a 110 mm but it would make the motor so hot it would unsolder the wire. I wouldn't recommend using the Esky 500 RTF for scale. But it has worked well as a learning device for me. And on days with no wind they are fun to fly. Challenging but fun!
On the 450 pro I was recommended to go with a 2500 kv motor use a 4 cell lipo and a 60 amp ESC. But I ended up going with a 3200 kv a 40 amp ESC and I am staying with the 3 cell because I have 4 of them. My other friend told my not to worry about the 60 amp ESC unless I plan to do 3D which I don't. I also am using a 5 blade flapping head from X copter and RC aerodyne scale rotor blades. Super precision no vibration or shake on spool up testing Also had to upsize the tail rotor blades to 74 mm. I am using the Eznov Neuron flybarless 9 axis gyro system with bailout so I don't have any sleepless nights. Just waiting for payday. Only need the RX with the single line S-bus line to link up the neuron. And it will be time for the maiden flight. Chaos 450 pro 2.JPGkghvkjhkjhkjhvkjhv.JPGsummons to the reaper 016.jpg250 size 027.JPG Thanks for making me feel at home here holtneil
Love the Cobra! Your flying skill turns me green with envy oh ye master with the sticks. Great Job, Beautiful paint. Just one question where did you hide the lipo.
Talk to you soon cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the worm welcome Admiral I love the Quote. A fella I correspond with from New Zealand has a good Quote that goes "Life is good but ten times better when flying with friends even in crappy weather" Cheers my friend !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Lee I see you are an Ikon user I have invested in the Neuron designed by the same guy that designed the Ikon brain. Only thing is there is almost no info on youtube about the system in English. And I don't speek any French. I am going to check out your channel right now!!! Cheers my friend......

Chaos 450 pro 2.JPG

kghvkjhkjhkjhvkjhv.JPG

summons to the reaper 016.jpg

250 size 027.JPG

holtneil

Hi tripod what a lovely heli you have , thank you for the comment been fly scale awhile it will come to you too I think the bigger heli helps to they are smoother to fly slow , as for the lipo it's under the pilots ,on your tamia to a window tint paint you spay it on the inside and will smoke the glass the more coats you put on the darker it gets so you won't see the lipo
I don't know if you know this the spirit pro FBL has a scale set up for scale fliers it can also make a cp heli fly like a coaxle heli and its not a bad price too

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Tripod. Man, those are very nice looking heli you have there. I have one scale heli which is a coast guard one.P8230006.jpg Welcome to the forum.

P8230006.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Hey Tripod, welcome to RCH. One thing I would suggest to possibly save you some money is to fly that 450 without the fuse and with a canopy first and get it dialed in and get used to it. Dont' want to see you damage a fuse because of not being familiar with the helicopter. Looks great though!

:welcome1:

Top Bottom