Interested in the knowledge you all have to share!

nateburgher

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to the idea of getting a RC copter for use in media production. I don't know much about anything when it comes to RC, so any beginner threads or sites you could point me to would be great!

I'm looking forward to this opportunity of working with a community I've heard so many great things about!

-Nate

Tony

Staff member
Hey Nate, welcome to the forum. There have been many threads of using helicopters and quads to take aerial video/pictures, and they all end the same way. You must check with your local city and state laws to make sure it's legal to do so. In most areas, it's illegal to use a "drone" (I hate that word, but it's what they use) to take photos or video.

:welcome1:

nateburgher

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the heads up. All the research I do via Google just results in "Peeping Tom" articles. I'll have to call the Police Department in the AM and see what they have to say about it.

-Nate

Tony

Staff member
That would be the best way to do it. i would rather be safe than sorry in this situation.

Derek

Welocome to the forum, Nate! This place is full of very knowledgeable people.

I don't know where you live, but I'd be curious to know what the police tell you when you call them. Report back if you can.

nateburgher

I am too! I live in Seattle, and there was a big controversy a year or two ago about our city police force using them in special occasions, which eventually was opposed by the citizens. That being said, I still can't find any info online about the legalities of it.

wolfman76

I would be willing to guess if the police had trouble that there is a possibility you might run into a few snags but hey i could be wrong. ... I think i remember seeing a video on YouTube about where you are taking about. .. definitely get back with us on what you find outvery curious to know myself

nateburgher

Spoke with the film and music department of our city police department yesterday. It's currently a grey area when it comes to laws, as it is still a fairly new thing for normal consumers to be flying around RC devices with video / photo devices mounted to them. Basically if I'm doing it on public land I need a permit, and if I'm doing it on private land I need to inform the nearby residents of what I'm doing, if they are within view.

Lee

Welcome to the forum,
If you are contemplating an aerial photo machine, look at multi rotors over standard helicopters. Much more stable.

Lee

Welcome to the forum,
If you are contemplating an aerial photo machine, look at multi rotors over standard helicopters. Much more stable.

nateburgher

Hey Lee,

Yes, thank you. I've been looking at the DJI F550. Are there any others you could recommend? I'm thinking hexacopter because if one rotor fails and I have 5 left, I have a much better chance of landing safely than if I only had 3 left.

Lee

The DJI is a nice model. If you haven't flown before, then get something like a micro quad that you can throw around and not worry about. Like the Nano QX or Hubsan X4.They are small, bulletproof and a lot of fun.

Top Bottom