FBL Gyro Ikon2 Issues

Tony

Staff member
It never fails, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong with me.

I have this brand spanking new gyro, the Ikon 2, and today I started shooting some videos on updating it, setting it up and just getting it ready for the air. Well guess what, things are going horribly wrong.

To start off with, the gyro absolutely did NOT want to go into bind mode with a DSMX satellite. Finally after about a dozen restarts, clicking the check box in the program AND installing a bind plug, it went and I was able to get it bound up.

First thing I did was go in and set all of my controls so that they show 100% on the sliders in the Ikon Configurator. Well, this threw off my ESC on the end point adjustments so I had to reset those. I powered down, raised throttle, powered up, waited for the tones, and lowered the throttle. I then unplugged the helicopter and turned off the Tx.

When I plugged the heli back in, it was no longer bound. I had pulled the bind plug and after a second power cycle, it is supposed to go out of bind. So I thought I would plug it back into the configurator and see what was up. It told me my firmware was out of date. I JUST updated it to the latest version. So I check the version, and it says Brain 1.1.6. I was on Ikon 3.0.006 if I remember correctly.

So not only did it lose bind, but it went into a firmware that is not even supposed to be on this gyro!

So I went ahead and updated it yet again, went in and set my servos, controls and all of that and the gyro just starts restarting, constantly! I thought I had a dead battery, nope, it was at 11.3 volts which yes, is low, but not low enough to cause this issue.

So yea, with the tail issues on the 600 nitro and now this issue on a BRAND NEW GYRO, I don't think I will be putting an ikon on anything else. Because if there is a bad one out there, I will get it...

Anyone have any AR7200BX gyros laying around? I need a few of them...

Dennis H

It sounds like you are have a day like I have in the past few weeks. I just finished up my 450, I tried everything out at least 5 times, all looks good, we will see tomorrow!

I am wondering about the IKON2 a little after hearing your experiences. I was thinking about trying one.

Dennis

Tony

Staff member
I quit working on it for today and I may try to go out tomorrow and see if I can get it setup. I was hoping to get the videos shot as i'm setting it up, but obviously I'm going to have to set it up, see how it works, and then shoot the videos. Not the way I wanted to do it, but I would rather have it right than to get the video. Last thing I want is to crash that helicopter.

Dennis H

I fully understand. That's why I am setting up my 450, in fact I have several of them. They are my practice and experimental Helicopters. Once I prove a system out on the 450, them I have a choice of either putting it on my TRex 600 or Trex 700.

I don't want to experiment with either of the Trex's, If I lose a 450, it doesn't quite hurt as bad. Plus I am learning a new Futaba 14SG which is in a category by itself! I like the 14SG, and they fully cover all the settings you can imagine, but I don't know if I will ever use all of them. I am going to try out the SBUS system.

One thing I "definetly" found out is the "default" setting especially in the End Point section will cause confusion with a Castle ESC. I guess once you know the radio, it won't be so bad. I have somewhat gotten use to all the switches and channel assignments, they could have made this area a little more user friendly, JMO, there may some who love it. That's the ones I want to talk to.

We have a few Fly In's coming up, I will see and hopefully talk to a few people about the radio.

Dennis

Good morning all,
In response to your AR7200BX request,Tony, I would have been willing to sell my (3) extra gyros.
After reading this , I think I will wait until the IKON2's have proven themselves worthy.
Like yourself, if badluck is around,it will find ME!
I will keep all posted on the sucess, or failure of IKON2's.
Robert

Tony

Staff member
I'm going to try to get out to the studio today and start this Goblin build. Which means I'm going to be removing the Ikon from the Align and putting it on the Goblin. Hopefully, it's just not happy on the Align and wants to be at home on the Gobby lol. I guess we will find out.

Bob sinclair

Thanks tony and all at/in rchelp almost got ikon but reading a lot of same issues with 2 eBay is getting a lot posted I’ll be researching for solutions be safe

Tony

Staff member
Up to $112 now. I don't need it though, I still have one that I"m not using. It's in a box around here somewhere lmao.

Top Bottom