FBL Gyro IKon wiring question

Ken Jackson

I am using 2 DSMx satellite receivers with my IKon. The electrical schematic shows battery input on channel 2 or 3. I wired mine the way I'm used to. ESC has internal BEC so I brought power into the throttle circuit. Obviously it powers up and I got through checkout all OK.

I spun it up everything seemed ok but when I went to lift the skids the motor cut out and from the video you can here what it's doing now. Just thought I'd ask if not having the BEC powers coming in on the throttle channel instead of channel 2 or 3 could cause this. I really don't want to take my ESC of my other 500 just to test it but I'm at that point with this.

? ken ?

New Heli First Spin Up - YouTube

pvolcko

Have you done a stress test on the servos? No brownout when putting pressure on the swash for a few minutes?

Sounds like the ESC is having issues sensing phase or there is a voltage drop when the motor is spinning up. Is the motor or ESC or wiring heating up when you do this?

Ken Jackson

Throttle end points on the Ikon not set right

No end points were fine. Everything on panel 4 were all in the green.

The motor spun up and ran at probably 1000 rpm for 15-20 seconds while I moved the swash a little to get a feel for it but when I tried to get the skids light it started cutting out.
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Have you done a stress test on the servos? No brownout when putting pressure on the swash for a few minutes?

Sounds like the ESC is having issues sensing phase or there is a voltage drop when the motor is spinning up. Is the motor or ESC or wiring heating up when you do this?

No servo issues, they are all good.

I put my better ESC from my Heli shown on my avatar in my new HK and checked it out in set up. Had to flip two motor leads. Just took it out in my garage and spun it up and damn that thing popped right up into the air and seemed real happy 2 feet off the ground. I wasn't really planning on hovering in my garage but it just seemed so smooth. If it flys like that out in the open I may have just become a major IKon supporter. Only hovered it for 20-30 seconds but it had a feel to it like nothing I've ever flown.

Weather permitting hover test tomorrow. Kind of excited now after that. Now I need another ESC to replace that Cobra. Anyone have a 60amp Scorpion ESC with low hours.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Never answered your question. Nothing was heating up. The motor may have been slightly warmer then the battery or ESC but it was not hot. I may check it out back on my 450 but I kind of like the EFlight ESC I bought. May buy another unless I find a deal on a castle, Lol

Tony

Staff member
Your not helping me out talking about the ikon that way lmao. I have it down to three that I'm going to put on the 600N. The AR7200BX, the Ikon or the Skookum(sp). I think the BX is at the bottom of the running though. The ikon is proven to be good, but that skookum has a beautiful aluminum case and is supposed to be more like a vbar which we all know, is a really good gyro.

Can't wait to see this heli in the air. Glad you found the issue, just sucks you have to replace a part.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Your not helping me out talking about the ikon that way lmao. I have it down to three that I'm going to put on the 600N. The AR7200BX, the Ikon or the Skookum(sp). I think the BX is at the bottom of the running though. The ikon is proven to be good, but that skookum has a beautiful aluminum case and is supposed to be more like a vbar which we all know, is a really good gyro.

Can't wait to see this heli in the air. Glad you found the issue, just sucks you have to replace a part.

" IKON "..Tony, it has your name on it.LOL

Ken Jackson

Yeah I think I dropped the BX from my list a while ago. Didn't really do a lot of comparison. Price an obvious issue so the IKon is in a good position there. I will definetely video my first flights. Just saw the Skookum in a magazine yesterday but already have my IKon. So we will see if it gets my attention again like it did tonight.

I liked the 3GX, never had any problems with it. My original 500 will still fly the 3GX colors proudly.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
I think the ikon is going to win out on this one. The Skookum 540 lost the left level that it had with the 720 (I think). SL would be nice when you have a bug flying around your face like happens all the time. Flip the switch and know you only have to control collective and you can get that bug out of there lol. But, the cheapest I can find an ikon is about $200 shipped. Still working on gathering funds to order it for the 600N. Some day that bird will go into the air... some day.

Westy

LEGEND
are you sure it was not the esc not knowing the true top and bottom stick positions? have you tried Callibrating the ESC?

What ESC was it?

pvolcko

I have 7200bx and Ikon. Gotta say I like both. Price is about the same. Ikon is computer programming only which means you have to lug a computer around to tune it. It does provide very good flight stability, though for my level of flying only marginally better. Setup options are better on Ikon IMO, though I've never tried custom programming settings on the 7200bx via a computer interface. I like the multiple "banks" of control characteristics in the Ikon. Ikon also has a gov and SL feature.

7200bx is also pretty well proven at this point too, is my point. I've personally had very good luck with them in terms of setup, quick adjustments in the field, control and vibration handling.

Westy

LEGEND
I am liking my Ikon .... but was a bit fidly getting the Levelling set point right.... will have to wait will my goblin get airborne to see if my setup has actually worked.

I was very very fussy on levelling for the set point too .... and it just would not play the game.... we shall see!

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I hear you on that Westy..I actually got my AIL at -1.5 and my ELEV at -5.5 ..... when initiated during flight it is straight as a nail. well except having to give it some pitch.

Westy

LEGEND
huh? what do ya mean -1.5 and -5.5? I did not see that anywhere?

Enlightening needed i think! haha :cower:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member

For the SL bank setup swash leveling. on the advance menu, I got self level on bank 1 and normal on bank 3, when switched between 3 to 1 the ELEV will pull back and the AILE will move up. so i had to input -1.5 on AILE and -5.5 on ELEV to get the swash leveled when switched. So if inverted and i hit the switch the heli will go upright and hover, but you will still need to control your pitch.

Last edited:

xokia

Out of those I would get the ikon just dont expect miracles out of the SL feature the FBL controller itself is really good.
helipartsdirect has a decent deal on them they are V1's if you can get the 10% off coupon.

- - - Updated - - -

Its in the advanced menu like others have said just pay attention to which bank you are adjusting it for.
Also remove the main blades and stick a towel under the skids. Power it up and flip the SL switch and see if it moves. Adjust the advanced menu settings to get it to stay level. Once you get it consistant on the bench take it outside 100ft in the air and try it.

Ken Jackson

Out of those I would get the ikon just dont expect miracles out of the SL feature the FBL controller itself is really good.
helipartsdirect has a decent deal on them they are V1's if you can get the 10% off coupon.

- - - Updated - - -

Its in the advanced menu like others have said just pay attention to which bank you are adjusting it for.
Also remove the main blades and stick a towel under the skids. Power it up and flip the SL switch and see if it moves. Adjust the advanced menu settings to get it to stay level. Once you get it consistant on the bench take it outside 100ft in the air and try it.

Very Interesting. I tried SL in one set up just today. When I switched it on the helicopter banked slightly forward and slight bank right. So obviously I'm going through everything again. Like the feel of it so far. Even if I don't use SL.

Tony

Staff member
I have never set it up myself, but I would think you would need a perfect CoG and the helicopter has to be perfectly level. I will find this out soon when I get my ikon, but as stated, I'm not 100% sure.

Westy

LEGEND
I will find out hopefully tomorrow if I have set mine up correctly ..... I will just hover at about 12 feet and see what happens when I hit the switch.

Even though I had 2 axis levels and compared with an IPOD bubble level ..... it still wanted to move of axis ... so I adjusted the heli ..... until It touched all three point on the swash leveling tool ... and I then hit SET LEVEL in the FBL Orientation part of the menu ....

Will see if that did the trick and report back! I certainly looks level when it is sitting there.

xokia

Very Interesting. I tried SL in one set up just today. When I switched it on the helicopter banked slightly forward and slight bank right. So obviously I'm going through everything again. Like the feel of it so far. Even if I don't use SL.
You dont need to go through everything again. This IS the inconsistanty of the SL feature.

Do this
Remove the main blades. Put your helicopter on a level surface at 0 degrees (mid stick). Now switch self level on. If your swash moves go into the advanced menu adjust the SL aileron and elevator until your swash is level again (make note of which direction moving the slider moves the swash in which direction you will need this for later). Make sure you are doing this for the correct bank. You can adjust this setting individually for each bank. Flip SL switch on and off swash shouldn't move. Now get a towel and stick it under the skids. This is so the vibration of the skids bouncing around doesnt go back up to the gyro. Now power up you heli with the main blades removed. Flip SL on/off and see if the swash moves. If it does go back to the advanced menu and try and adjust the aileron and elevator so that it doesnt move. Power down and do this a couple times and see if you can get it to be consistant. I recommend unplugging the power so that its a hard reset of the gyro. After you do all that reconnect you main blades take it 100 feet up and hit SL. See if its stable if not make note of which direction its going. Then go in the advanced menu and adjust the slider to counteract that direction. This is where your prior notes come in handy.

If you still can't get it to be stable start looking for vibes. There is probably nothing wrong with your setup vibrations affect this gyro when in SL mode significantly! I hope this helps good luck!

Top Bottom