FBL Gyro Ikon fbl - Heavy left AIL tilt

Erfan

Hi

I just setup my new Ikon on my t700e. The swash is perfect level on the bench when doing the swash setup, the blades are also balanced and I have a -12 - +12 pitch with almost 0 at mid stick.
Got it out for my first test run and tail holds, it feels great but it has kind of heavy AIL tilt to the left, not a slight drift which you could fix by AIL gain, instead it feels like the stick actually gives left AIL command, its really noticeable and doing nothing for couple of seconds and its really hard going to the left.

There are no sub-trims or trims at all, the swash is level and I cannot notice any vibrations...

I guess adding some trim to counter is no good on any fbl? At least I know its a no go on 3gx, not sure about Ikon. Also it feels you just take a bad shortcut using trims since it should not be needed if mecanical and software setup is perfect, I'm right?

Any suggestion?

Tony

Staff member
Go into the ikon program and make sure your sticks are centered in there. It almost sounds like you bumped the stick on setup. Might go through the Tx setup again just in case. All of this is based on your swash being perfectly level though. Might want to recheck that as well just to be safe.

Erfan

Its all level, I just checked, and the stick is a middle because I have a specific test model in my tx which has pitch 0-50-50-50-100...

But I think I found the issue, perhaps u can verify my thoughts:

The anti rotation bracket was in a crash, I wanted to save money and used it again even thou its little bit bent forward but now I saw its even a little bit bent to the left. And it gets more bent to the left going upwards so at mid stick it is little bit bent, at 75% stick even more and 100% stick even some more. We're talking about couple of mm at tops but still.

It has to be it, no? The swash will travel up but it will have slight more direction at the left since the bracket is bent that way, am I right?
Strangely the swash is still level on the bench using a swash tool :s But perhaps since the entire swash gets tilted slightly to the left then all swash tool "legs" still gets contact with the swash?

Custom avatar, nice :) I just got use to the little guy running to the chooper :D

Erfan

Well after I changed the bracket it behaves little bit better, but still there is slight tilt to the left after few seconds. I also read about people adding +1 in the swash meny for whatever servo needed to counter the drift, I did that on servo3 in the swash meny (pitch servo I think) and it got little bit better, I will try another +1.

But I' sure that wont make the swash level anymore, that cannot be good?
How about adding trims in the tx to counter, is that OK on Ikon?

Lee

Easier way to do that Erfan, is put something under the left skid to raise that side slightly.
Depending on the severity of the lean, put more or less under neath.
Then in the software, press set level. That should do it. :)

Erfan

Are you kidding? :D

The "Set level" button is for auto level if I'm not mistaking, that is the position it goes to when I use the auto level. How would that affect what is happening in regular flight when I'm not switching to auto level?

Also the auto level is for getting it up right, flying with it on and you are working against it all the time, that is it will try to auto correct every second, no? Or have I completely not understood that functionality and the "set level" button?

Erfan

I read some more and it seems you can definitely fly around with it and as soon as u let go of the sticks it auto levels but you cannot fly inverted or do any loops etc...
But I need to be able to fly inverted since I'm training on that :)

Lee

If the heli hovers in self level perfectly, then that if where the swash plate needs to be in all modes.

So once you get it perfect, you can then check to see what the difference is in your swash on the bench, when switching from SL to normal.
Then adjust the links until they both match.

Be careful though with SL. Always test at a good height, and be ready to switch it back, if something weird starts going on.

Erfan

Ok, that sounds like a good idea!

And I should only adjust the links, never the actual servo arm by using the swash menu in the app? The servos should always be 90* at midstick?
The reason I ask is because I have read on some forums people adjusting the servo arm in the menu, very small changes, +1 or -1
But its better to adjust the links instead?

I thing that I cannot get my head around, doing what you suggested or doing what other suggest (servo arm adjustment in the menu) will remove the perfect level swash when using the swash level tool, does that not matter?
I'm thinking that perhaps the servo arm is not exactly 90*, perhaps off with 1-2* and that's causing the issue I have? Becuase I noticed before on my t600 that being of with 1-2* still show level swash when using the swash tool, but it will have small drift.

I'm hoping that is the issue, that I'm just of with 1-2* on the left AIL servo.

Lee

Do first check that the servos are 90º, and the swash plate is perfectly level.
If they are ok, and its really only minor drift, then just use the servo adjust in the menu to make a few clicks to adjust it.
Like one click up an the left servo, and one click down on the right servo.

Top Bottom