I hate Oklahoma weather...

Tony

Staff member
You guys know that I finally got my Extra 260 ready to fly, and I had been watching the weather trying to see when the best day was to maiden it. Well, all week Sunday has looked like the best time to fly it since I can't fly during the week. So tonight I was watching the weather, and they went from 5-10 mph winds to 10-20 with higher gusts. How much does that suck? Seems like I can't get in any flying when I can lol.

One of these days I will just say screw it and put lights on all of my planes so I can fly at night lol. That is the calmest times here in Oklahoma. But like tonight, that is not the case.

anywho, I just had to vent. I want to fly this Extra 260 mini just to see how it's going to handle. I will one of these days.

Lee

We've had 20/40mph winds for 2weeks and its going to be here for another week at least :(

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
It's supposed to be a great weekend at home this week lol. I'll probably play with my t maxx though! Go for a motorcycle ride Sunday enjoy the fall colors. Heck if you leave now you can be up here by the time I get home tomorrow and enjoy with me lol!

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Is the Extra 260 ready to fly now? It has been almost dead calm in Clevland for the past week!

Tony

Staff member
The only thing that I have to do to the Extra is put velcro down for the ESC and the battery and it's ready to go.

Tony

Staff member
I have always wanted a plane that had a smoke system on it. who says that an electric plane can't leave a smoke trail :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
haha, that is true. And that is what I'm worried about. I'm not sure how well these planes will glide without power for a dead stick landing. Hope to never find out either...

RandyDSok

I believe the bipe and edge are designed by Andrew Jesky for Flinton... I wouldn't be suprised if the 260 was as well... That being said... you shouldn't have any trouble... AJ designs very well which is why his 3DHS planes are so well liked.

For those that don't know who AJ is... he is the National Champ in Pattern and is currently ranked 3rd in the World

Tony

Staff member
I really like the Edge 540 Mini. The looks are amazing, and I love the color. Just don't like the red on the under side. But there will never be any confusion on what way is up lol. If he is still designing planes, I would like to see his new stuff. And if you want to post some videos of him up, go for it. I would like to see him fly and what he can do.

RandyDSok

When I said "design" ... I'm talking about the airframe itself... While I suspect AJ has some say in the schemes... its the airframe design that is important.

Currently AJ and Scott Stoops are the two major airframe designers for 3D HobbyShop...

AJ designed their Slick and Osiris. He is also working on a Yak for them.

Scott designed the Vyper, Edge, Velox and Extra's... He is working on the Byper ( a bipe version of the Vyper and no, the name hasn't been released yet, that is just what everyone is calling it for now ). I think he also designed the current foamies but I'm not positive on those.

At some point I want to add the new style Vyper, the Byper and the Osiris.... all of which are pattern styled planes with the Vyper/Byper being a hybrid pattern/3D

Tony

Staff member
Do you like work for this hobby shop, or are you connected with them in some way? I ask because all of your planes are from them, and you seem to always point towards them. I have looked at their site, and all of their stuff in my eyes is expensive. I mean, for what I got with my Edge 540T, they are charging $50 more for the same airframe. Granted I do not have one of their planes, but the prices seem a little high.

If you have connections with them, I would like to start adding some vendors to the site. Just let me know.

RandyDSok

No connection other than I like the quality of their products and they fly like no other...

Now having said that... there are 3 top sellers of 3D airframes in the sizes I have up to Giant Scale... 3DHS, Extreme Flight and Precision Aerobatics.... in the USA, PA has terrible customer support but in the other countries they have great support. So for USA buyers, 3DHS and EF are the way to go. In fact, the owners of each will often praise the other company... they are that well built and their support can't be beat. I lean towards 3DHS simply because I like their schemes a little more... obviously that is a personal preference thing.

My first plane was the 47" Extra 300 SHP... I crashed it ( my fault ) and then got a fuse and fixed it back up. After finishing a hammerhead turn... when it was still in a downline... the right horizontal stab and elevator left the plane... When the owner of 3DHS saw the pics... he asked for a detailed list of damaged parts and then shipped them to me with no further questions asked. That is typical of both 3DHS and EF's support.

RandyDSok

Ok... here are a few vid's of some of the 3DHS planes... These are all flown by Joe Smith, one of the 3DHS team pilots... he's only 17 yrs old and has won several competitions already...

48" Edge 540

48" Super Vyper

And to not forget Giant Scale... 104" Slick

Last edited by a moderator:

talberter

Louis and I go early in the morning like 7-8:00 am alot of the time. Last Saturday we were there at 7:30 ish til 9:00 and then the float fly that afternoon for 2 or 3 hours.

Tony

Staff member
Well, my weekend got all screwed up. At 2200 I received a phone call from the base asking where I was or if I was on my way. I said I was not because I was never informed that I had to work lol. Well, I dint argue with the military, so here I sit until 1000 tomorrow. And with that, I doubt that I will be able to stay awake on Sunday lol. I guess there was a reason the weather changed lol.

Top Bottom