ESC Hw Programming Box

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm getting ready to program my HobbyWing esc for my Gaui X3L On my programming sheet there's 10 items listed to set up the esc. When I plug the box into the esc, it has 16 items instead :eek:. Most of the items listed are self explanatory but some I'm not sure of. I'm wondering If I should just use the default setting or not. The Xnova motor I'm using mention my timing should be 18 degree or higher instead of the default setting of 15 degree and the PWM should be 24 or default which is 32. They don't mention the Gov. Parm P/I setting. There's a few other things like cut off volt, brake force, restart accel, Active FW and so on that not listed on the sheet they give you. The program box has 6 more items then the sheet. All of these setting that Xnova list are for 50a esc and I'm using 60a esc. Any difference? My question is which ones to worry about. I assume the Gov Param. P/I is one of them. Flight mode elf or storage, I've heard use storage instead of elf. Cut off volt and restart accel. is another. I just don't want to put the heli in the air and find out it's running to hot. Any help would be appreciated :).

RandyDSok

You should list all the options... perhaps comment on the ones you already know about etc but don't assume anyone will know what you are seeing

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks rdsok. Actually I was thinking about making a video to make it easier to understand.

Tony

Staff member
Your manual is for an older firmware version. They added more options with the newer firmware. I found this out just as you did lol. If you are not going to use a governor, don't worry about any of that, it can get confusing. P and I are also for the governor, it's just like adjusting for oscillations on a quad, you just don't have any derivative function on a governor, the motor would burn up. Cut off volt is your LVC for your battery to keep from damaging it. For all motor settings, PWM, Timing and so on, go with what Xnova says to go with. Keep the timing low at first. Active FW I have never had luck with, if you try it, watch the motor temp. Brake force, keep this off for a helicopter. Restart Accel is autorotation bailout. This will tell the ESC to bypass the slow startup and spool it how fast you put in this setting. I think that answers most things lol. Let me know if I missed something.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Tony. You pretty much answered my questions. Any more I will post up :).

murankar

Staff member
Tim8ng should be set to the motor spec. The pwm of 32 leave it unless your getting to much heat, then back it down to 24.

Hobby wing optimized the esc for 32 it should work just fine. Active free wheeling is a function to keep the esc from burning up due to high output changes on the throttle. I would fly without it and see what happens. If the temps stay normal then keep it off. If your running a governor then you may not need active free wheeling.

As for the setting just set the 10 you were asked to set, the rest at default. The governor in the esc will need to be a default unless you know it needs adjusted.

I just remembered that just before rchn went off the air nick lenn was fighting a tail issues when using the Hobby wing esc. There was some kind of glitch that caused a bunch of help pilots to use the airplane governor, well this caused the tail kick. What was found out is that if your using the esc heli gov then you won't need the active free wheeling. Anyhow the discussion was at the beginning of the show. During the weekly updates. @Geena might know what I am talking about. It was sometime during the last year on air. Also Justin pucci goes in detail about PWM and degrees offset on motors during another episode. If you can find those have a listen.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thank you URI for your reply. Yes Mrs. Geena touch base with me and also gave me some very helpful advice too. Between Geena, Tony and your self I think I have the Gaui X3L ready to go :). I might have to do some fine tune adjusting after a few flights but overall she's ready. I'm just waiting on the batteries to arrive. I was hoping for today, Monday but after further tracking, the batteries will be here Thursday :). I'm hoping this weekend to be able to do a video once I get use to flying the bird for a few.

Top Bottom