How to Tune a Nitro Heli Engine with Three needles .. Idle, Mid and High

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
So.. I was gonna tune my engine again. I was talking to too many people on the field and too many people had too many opinions.. I got frsutrated, and as I now know how it works.. I decided to just do it myself. Cant go wrong if I know my engine temps.. SO here I made two videos.. I am not an expert in either making videos or just tuning in general but this is a start.

BTW I am loving the FOV of my new 808 #16 with D lense. Its amazing.. ( YES I GOT IT!! ) :D

Anywaz.. The videos are uploading. i'll post here soon. ONe thing is.. I wanted to tune the engine on my governor.. the only problem is that my governor started acting up on my new DS620 throttle servo as its much faster than my last one. So it started hunting like crazy. I am gonna try to see if I can redo so end points and get it work again.. and then do some more tuning. Esp my mid needle. I am a bit scared of over revving my head.. and my engine... But here it didnt work so I just removed it off governor and put it back to my throttle curves. and it did fine.. its gots good power now..

Hope I can help some people atleast start up into engine tuning of helis.

Some major things:

If you are going to be using a governor .. TUNE IT ON THE GOVERNOR..

Making a change.. ALways make a change on the needles in 2's or threes.. start with threes and then go to 2clicks when you think you might be close or scared of over heating the engine because of leaning. WHY?

One click one way or the other is a very very small change which a pro will feel but not a noobie. noobie will think he made a change with one click and just either make up the fact that its lean or go one click at a time every time and never feel the REAL difference. Leaning the Engine is bad.. but it doesnt kill it if you just are testing its lean point and land it within 30 seconds or so of realizing that you are lean. That wont hurt your engine. Keep flying and you will burn a hole in your piston.. :D

So.. boys and gals.. watch enjoy.. and this is the uncut version.. I might send it to Tony if he thinks its helpful enough that he can do his video majic on it and post it under RC-HELP's videos.. :D

enjoy.. :)

Part 1:

Vibe 55 Tuning the engine.. hopefully it helps some.. Part1/2 - YouTube

Part 2 :

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Those were some good videos Gaba. I do have a few issues that I would like to see corrected though for teaching. First off, you need to show what needles you are turning. Explaining the engine and what is going on will take you a long way in helping others learn.

the second thing, you are doing auto landings. This should never be done or shown when you are trying to teach new pilots. They will want to try it and more than likely tip the helicopter over.

the third is about the clicks. While you are right that one click doesn't show much sign of change, it's safer to do so. In the video you are talking about doing "drastic changes". When a new pilot is getting into this hobby, drastic changes is bad. For you and I, it's fine because we know what the heli is trying to do and what it needs to do. But for someone that is tuning their engine for the first time you must drill it to them that drastic changes is BAD. Over the years of my helping out, I have noticed that a lot of people will say "well if 3 clicks is good, then a full turn is better and will get me there faster". But if you drill it to them to go one to two clicks (one hour at a time), then they will more than likely do that and not go crazy.

all in all it's a great video. YOu explained the fuel coming out and what you needed to do to correct it. When you noticed it a little lean you landed it and fixed the issue.

We will have to meet up and do a proper how to video on tuning these things. You know more about them than I do and I don't even own one lol. Keep it up bro, you are doing great.

Top Bottom