How To Properly Use A Digital Pitch Gauge

Tony

Staff member
Last edited:

bbj

This was extremely helpful. I am so glad I stumbled on this method when I did my blade setups. Guess it was my engineering thinking that made me calibrate the pitch gage on the heli frame and not on the table it was setting on. Again a great video.

Tony

Staff member
Thank you. I have seen a lot of people getting really frustrated with their head not setting up correctly because of the digital pitch gauge and the way they were using it. While I was shooting AR7200BX videos, I decided to go ahead and shoot this one real fast while I had it out. I hope it can help people out in setting up their head correctly and take some of that frustration out of the setup.

bbj

I was chasing the tail as they say for quite awhile until I decided to calibrate on the frame of the trex500 just as you showed Tony. Its as close to perfect as we can get other than if there was a way to calibrate to the main shaft.

murankar

Staff member
If you want to calibrate to a vertical main shaft you can. Disconnect one blade grip from the swash. Let it fall against the head block. Attach your pitch gauge to the blade grip. Your pitch gauge should be 90° degrees to the blade grip. Start with the blade grip in line with the boom. Get a reading then rotate the head 180°. Take a reading, add both numbers together then divide by 2. Raise one side by sliding paper under the skid. Make sure you are getting closer to your computed answer. Once that is dialed in your next step is to do the same with the blade grips 90° to the boom. In the end you will have a verticaly plum main shaft. One tenth of a degree in variation should be fine.

Once the main shaft is vertical you can use any part of the heli to calibrate your level. Personally I use absolute numbers for my setup.

Soko heli tool has videos on YouTube showing how to do this setup.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom