Hovering

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there. I've been reading that it's hard hovering a quad with your goggles on. Ever since I've been flying quads, I haven't tried it out. I always took off like a bat out of hell from the start lol. I hovered before with no goggles on in order to get my quads leveled out using beta flight calibration. So this evening while I was waiting for Chinese food to arrive, I took my fossil 180 out in the front yard and gave it a try. Your right... it's not easy!

Admiral

I see what you mean, would it be easier if you were tail in, like when you are learning to hover with a helicopter ?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah either way it's not easy. I only did nose in, that way you can see me using my goggles Lol.

Tony

Staff member
It doesn't seem that hard in theory, but in practice, it is incredibly hard. I think they call it "Spacial Orientation". You have to be able to see the ground and be able to interpret it without actually being able to "feel" the quad move like you would if you were in a real helicopter.

Stambo

Just watched the video again, something that may help is getting a bit more height.
That close to the ground you are probably in a bit of turbulent air.
Try it in front of something a little higher, like your mailbox or something.
That way the mailbox is your reference and you are well out of any ground effect.
Like anything , practice with an assist then slowly get further away until you don't need it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Stambo. I will try it a little higher next time. Actually I heard the bigger the quad the steadier. I used my 180 and mostly I use that quad for freestyle because she's like a tight flying ball lol. I'm waiting on a new VTX for my 210. I'll try it out with that quad once I get her airborne. I 'll also try a different reference to boot.

Top Bottom